Mot

B

Batch21

Hi all,

Will a K-Reg Pulsar require a CAT to pass emissions tests? Can't remember when the legislation was introduced.

Cheers guys

youngsyp

Strictly speaking yes as, there was a UK equivalent for it and it's registered after August 1992.
However, if you get the MOT guy to put 'Pulsar' into his emissions computer, it will tell him to run a 'pre-cat' test on the car and so, you won't need the cat ! It's just a slight bending of the rules and completely legal.

Fusion Ed

Batch you have this in a K10, there are no K10s that are cat tested. (even if you put a brand new engine in it)

Ed

B

Batch21

Oh superb, that's exactly what i needed to hear. Thanks for your help. That's one less thing i have to worry about when getting this thing on the road.

Does anyone know whether rose jointed wishbones will pass a UK MOT?
What about no speedometer (don't think they could check this anyway really unless they took it for a spin!) :)

Micra Ed said:
Batch you have this in a K10, there are no K10s that are cat tested. (even if you put a brand new engine in it)

Ed
Yeah but when i register it as a 2.0 turbo wont they test it on the engine rather than the shell or do they test on VIN number (chassis no.)

GTi-R23

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html

Not sure if speedo is part of the test, i don't think so, just had a quick look at the FAQ's and found this:

ODOMETER TEST
I have a digital LCD odometer and the backlit bulb has blown, making it very difficult to read the numbers. Will this be criteria for a fail? Thank you.
No, that is not an MOT failure item. MOTT.

and this:

FAULTY SPEEDO
The speedo on my 1994 Alfa 33 16 v 1.7 Sportwagon fails intermittently. Is a faulty speedometer an automatic MOT failure -
Mike Lock
The speedo is not checked for the MOT. -MOTT

So you're ok on that one. My MOT tester made an advisory comment about my exhaust being excessively loud but passed it anyway.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

speedo is part of test along with cv joints but neither can be tested on a ramp, so dont worry about it, and dont tell him either!

azboy

pulsarboby said:
speedo is part of test along with cv joints but neither can be tested on a ramp, so dont worry about it, and dont tell him either!
no the speedo is not part of the test not on class 4 any way which are cars, if u have any questions feel free to ask me as im a tester myself, and for a n14 pulsar u dont need a cat as the only emissions u have to meet is co 3.5 hc 1200 and oviouslty not smocking not sure about a uk sunny gtir as never come accross 1 yet and ull find most mot stations rollers cant test 4 wheel drives so they have to test drive them anyway and the ones which have to 4 wheel drive brake testers cant be used with any kind of limited slip diffs.

Last edited:

azboy

Micra Ed said:

Ed
if u had a brand new car and put a 1990 engine in it would not need a cat either as u test it for the engine emissions that engine should put out ie a brand new vectra with a sri 130 cav engine in will only have to meet the sri 130 emissions not the vectra emissions, allso no car needs a cat but must pass the emissions i have a decatted scooby once and it was so so close to passing the emissions test without a cat.