MOT today :-(

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Had my MOT today after 2 years off the road. No great ssurprises on what it failed on... Emissions and brakes. oh and a rear seat belt clasp

The mechanic was very understanding and spent over an hour doing the MOT trying to sus out what was the solution rather than just saying I've got a problem.

The rear brakes are sticking and my pads have seen better days so we decided a new set wouldn't go a miss. I'm going to get a set of Pagids after reading people's past posts though the mintex 1144 seem a close second.

The emissions we're putting down to a combination of poor plugs and 2 year old petrol. He reckoned this can make a 30% difference on your emissions. We're not convinced about the Lambda sensor either but again after doing a search I will do a fault code check. Half tempted to just get a new one for the sake of £40. On the drive back we found power dropped after 3000rpm which could be the Lambda again or the other stuff.

And the fact that the car hasn't been run in and with no tax MOT etc this is a problem. He suggested Oulton Park :shock: :shock: I declined thinking no brakes and not run in is not a good idea. He then suggested Southport Beach 8) :D 8) :D

Expect to see me on the beach soon. Finely get to drive the car again :D :D

Any thoughts on brakes emissions or MOT's appreciated.

Chers,
Jim

ChrisS

Brakes should be easy to sort. If left they will stick, just a case of taking every thing apart and giving a good clean. I had a simlar problem with mine after been off the road for over a year. You may also find all the brake pads decide to fall apart once you start using them after that lengh of time. Best getting new ones on it. What were the emmisions at? You should be able to get away with up to 3.5% co if you havent got a CAT. Mine were very close to this level but thats running 720cc injectors.

O

Odin

I agree on brakes just take them apart a clean everything up, That should do the job :wink: .

On emissions you could allways try an adjustable fuel reg and turn down the pressure to 2.5 bar for the test or even a little lower as I did :wink: ,it worked for my test :D .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks for the replies. I jacked the car up again last night and took the wheels off. Back to its natural habitat.

I bought the Pagids today and will pick up a lambda sensor tonight on the way home.

The pads might be my weekend work if I get the time. Failing that, I'm getting so sick of the car sitting on stands I might pay someone else to do it :shock: :shock:

I'm wondring if the lambda sensor is the reason why my powerfc was fuel cutting at 3000rpm. If I can get the FC to work then I could probably do the equivalent to your pressure trick Rob. Nice idea :wink:

Thnkas again, I'm now looking forward to ragging the car over the weekend on southport beach :D

Jim

Fire & skill

Vintage member
V - didnt you post up about MOT brake tests before? hope they were tested out on the open road and not on their rollers :shock:

O

Odin

Fire & skill said:
V - didnt you post up about MOT brake tests before? hope they were tested out on the open road and not on their rollers :shock:
Yes he tested it on the raod :wink: After I had a little word in his shell like :twisted: :shock: .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
ChrisS said:
What were the emmisions at? You should be able to get away with up to 3.5% co if you havent got a CAT. Mine were very close to this level but thats running 720cc injectors.
At idle the car was perfect, above 2000rpm, the CO seemed to drop right off and the PPM went to 2000, 1440 at best, 300 over the limit. We tried a few times but no luck.

Jim

A

Anonymous

campbellju said:
If I can get the FC to work then I could probably do the equivalent to your pressure trick Rob.
you won't have to turn the fuel press down if the power fc is working and mapped correctly as sam got my emissions down to just over 1% with the power fc.

O

Odin

I only did mine that way because it needed mapping and it was the only way to get through the test :wink: .

Soon as it passed I turned it back up outside the test centre :twisted: .

rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
My emissions are very low at idle and low rpm too...

Set it setup correctly and you won't have a problem...

Rishi

ChrisS

Whoops, wasnt logged in. My idle is at about 1200rpm aswell. Didnt get the emissions checked when the motec was mapped, so it came as a suprise how high they were come MOT time

O

Odin

My motec was fine 2 years ago when it had the last test, it passed on 3.20% c/o, But what with fitting a new bigger turbo and 2 years of doing nothing it wouldn't go through as it was reading 3.65% c/o this time :cry: .

So a little tweaking of the sard fuel reg was in order :twisted: .

rob

ChrisS

Think the problem with mine was getting a decent idle quality with the injectors as their MSD's. Managed to get a bit of flexibility on what he'd let through luckily :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've got a catch 22 situation. It needs to be setup properly at HiTeq or RC with the PowerFC but to drive there I need an MOT.

The current ECU has a daughter board and an A/F modifier but we couldn't get it to work very well at half throttle.

ChrisS

Do RC or Hiteq do mots by any chance? If so im sure that your allowed to drive leagally without an MOT to and from a prebooked MOT test. I could be wrong but its a thought

O

Odin

ChrisS said:
Do RC or Hiteq do mots by any chance? If so im sure that your allowed to drive leagally without an MOT to and from a prebooked MOT test. I could be wrong but its a thought
Yes you can drive to a pre booked M.O.T as long as the car is insured :wink: , But both these companys send the cars out to m.o.t I beleave :wink: .

rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Been told you can't get valid insurance for the road without an MOT. Need trade insurance that I don't have. Could be rubbish but makes sense.

Really I wanted to get a 1000miles on the engine before I fit the 550cc, powerfc, Z32 and up the boost. Looking for a more staggered approach now, maybe 2 visits to the tuners. What's it cost people to put a base map on an FC out of interest?

The mechanic helping me on the MOT "understands" people like us so I think I should get an MOT somehow. :wink:

Jim