Mot question

c4cpa

mate has an L reg import and mot station are saying it needs a cat to pass, they also reckon they can't find the lambda sensor ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Can anyone throw any light on this ta,

Colin.

c4cpa

just been out and had a look at his car myself ... found the lambda sensor but it wasn't connected to anything - thought this would cause the car to run badly as the ecu relies on the info from the lambda ??

MarkTurbo

Nope it dosent need a cat on the car to pass the mot, as long as the CO level is not over 3.5% :wink:

But if the lambda sensor was disconnected then it would probably be overfuelling and possibly over the limit.

What was the CO level on the emissions test :?:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The lambda sensor is in the turbo elbow I believe, if it isn't connected there'll be a hole in the exhaust letting lots of nice hot fire causing gases out :shock:

Was it the cat temp sensor they found, the probe hanging by the cat replacement pipe?

The issue of cats is abit vague as some people say you don't need on e on an import as it's not listed on the data base, so only a basic emission test is needed.
If they insist you need a cat to get less than 0.3%CO , borrow one of here if you fail, assuming they'll test it wth no cat :?

MarkTurbo

Fast Guy said:
The issue of cats is abit vague as some people say you don't need one on an import as it's not listed on the data base, so only a basic emission test is needed
My mate is an mot tester for a Vauxhall main dealer and he checked up on this the other day. According to the testers manual an import dosent need a cat to pass the mot even if it is newer than Aug '92 :wink:

As long as the CO level is below 3.5%.

c4cpa

Fast Guy said:
Was it the cat temp sensor they found, the probe hanging by the cat replacement pipe?
:oops: guess it was the cat temp sensor then - when he had the de-cat pipe fitted they just tied it up and hung it by the pipe !!!

As for the emissions - i don't think they would even test it without the cat on the system :?

i might just tell him to take it to another garage as it sounds like they are being a bit fussy !!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
c4cpa said:
As for the emissions - i don't think they would even test it without the cat on the system :?

I passed last year with a full mongoose (decat) on with 0.39% and I have my mot on wednesday, so I 'll see if it's changed at all.

jonee

r

well the mot bible states

a vehicle of 1993 vintage onwards is subject to a cat test with NO exceptions.

except the vehicles that have been manufactured and no exhaust emmissions data has been supplied,in this case you would test the vehicle using the pre 1993 data
.............................co 3.50%...........................
.............................hc 1200ppm.......................

however if when you present your car for its mot and say for example its a 1995 vintage.and you can produce evidence of engine modifications then the tester can carry out a visual test at his descrection :D

jonee

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
J reg and earlier only need to be <3.5% :wink:

Jonee, any chance of getting a page reference for that quote so that next time any guys go in for an mot they can quote it if need be :wink:

jonee

Fast Guy said:
J reg and earlier only need to be <3.5% :wink:

Jonee, any chance of getting a page reference for that quote so that next time any guys go in for an mot they can quote it if need be :wink:

save time just come on down south for your day at the seaside and an mot and piss up :D

i will post this up for all to see have no fear :D

jonee

Dooie Pop Pop said:
thanks for makin it clear jonee :wink:
sorry dooie :oops:

rite: a K reg car can be a 1992 or a 1993 vehicle

so if its a K reg and you can prove its manufacturing date was before august 1993 then the emmissions test is a standard test ie
...................................co limit is 3.50%.................................
...................................hc limit is 1200ppm..............................
even if its got a cat on the car.

but if the manufacturing date is after then the cat test has to be carried out.

Hannie

i had this problem with mine, in the end i borrowed a cat off another member, put it on, it passed and then whipped it back off again.

S

Stoned

Mines a 94(L) and it passed fine without a CAT

They just did the basic emmissions test

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
c4cpa said:

I passed last year with a full mongoose (decat) on with 0.39% and I have my mot on wednesday, so I 'll see if it's changed at all.

I had my mot yesterday, they did a basic test and it passed with a full decat mongoose again, but 0.57%CO this year.