MOT co2 failed

Badge

Hi Guys,

Just taken my R up to be MOT's and it failed on the Idle Co2.

Nothings really changed from last year but their doesn't seem to be any simple way to adjust it.

One suggestion was to slightly raise the tickover as R's often run richer the further down the revs get.

CO2 sensor was new about a year ago (due to broken lead, nothing failed).

Any ideas?

Julian

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Borrow a cat to refit if you haven't got one.

There's no gaurentee the Lambda sensor hasn't gone again.

It may be a faulty coolant temp sensor or maf problem.

What was your co2 reading?

J

justin666

Sunny or pulsar..?????

With mine being an import its never really been tested for C02 as from what i understood it doesnt have to meet UK regs anyway. It was tested once tho and did pass :-D

J.

antgtir

justin666 said:
Sunny or pulsar..?????

With mine being an import its never really been tested for C02 as from what i understood it doesnt have to meet UK regs anyway. It was tested once tho and did pass :-D

J.
It does have to meet UK regs however the car (if an import) should not have to be put through a cat test just the standard test.

If you go to a garage which has been setup with the electronic issue ability for mot's which i think all have to be by now it should automatically be flagged up on the screen when the reg plate is put in etc. On mine it even gave a warning saying that a standard in car brake test had to be carried out not the usual rollers which i thought was very good.

I would look at the MAF readings to see if re grounding the earth would help solve the problem.

Have a look in the how to guides and info on the site to find out how to do this, very simple.

Ant.

J

jpward

Well here in NI it cant be tested because of something to do with the "Handbook" and pulsar figures is not in it so cant test as a sunny and ive never had any bother about no cat and mine's a 93R ;-)

Badge

CO2 Level

The level was 3.8, so not exactly a large fail. It was tested in line with not having a Cat.

Will have a look at the other suggestions.

Julian

Badge

Thanks people, re earthed the MAF and the level dropped to about 1%.

Would this have been effecting the mixture all the way though the rev range? I'm a little concerned now that I had the car RR'd to make sure I wasn't over boosting/detting.

If it's now running leaner all the way though might I have problems?

Ju

antgtir

Glad to hear that re eartyhing the MAF has solved the emissions. Wouldn't have thought it has done any damage mate its only when the readings are sky high that you may start to get bore wash etc, wouldn't worry about it. However for your own piece of mind it may be worth getting it checked but i would say its ok;-)

Look at that within 6 posts and the problem is solved, quality.

Ant.

Last edited: