more trouble

J

japedup

after diving the R for 45 min the dam things seems to hold back on throttle,the standard boost gage reads full whack, its done this twice recently. it seems to go after i had switched the engine off today though, what now?

J

Jon

dude, do u mean it's running on after the ignition's turned off :?:
over fueling ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
running on could be unburnt fuel/combustion gases getting ignited by hot carbon particles or a glowing plug tip in the cylinder I think.

A

AJ4

Run on used to happen on old cars with lots of built up carbon glowing red hot in the chamber and igniting fuel, keeping the engine going. Not very likely on an EFI with fuel cut though ?

T

Tart

Don't know if this is the same problem I have but could be the detonation circuit tripping. My boost is running at .9bar and when this happens to me, the car is over fuelling and it cuts boost down to bout .6bar. Feels like ur towing a caravan!!! After shutting the engine off and letting it cool for a few mins usually solves it. This only happens to me if ive been sittin in traffic a while, fine on the open roads.... when my oil temp gets to bout 90 degrees... Still tryin to sort it out on mine, been suggested to replace the detonation sensor..... (not an easy job apparently). See post in problems bout "not acheiving full boost when hot".... been suggested that retarding the timing slightly might help... Gonna give that ago this w/e.

A

AJ4

Check the ECU fault codes, the last error will still be recorded and if it was the det sensor causing limp mode it might have registered.

J

japedup

no i dont mean its running on i mean its not pulling away fast sometimes when i have been driving it a bit,yet the boost needle is hitting the .7 mark

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be the det sensor kicking in then if it's ok again after it's been switched off. What boost are you supposed to be running? The 7 is nearly 1bar.

Shaun

:? So where's the needle supposed to be on the standard boost gauge on a standard 'R' at full throttle:?: :?: Mine was on the No7 when i bought it,but dropped slightly for some reason until i fitted the front mount intercooler.Now its back up to No7 again :!: Also my mate has just bought a completely standard 'R' as well and his is running the same No7 :? :? :!: :!:

J

japedup

hope your right fast guy about 7 nearly 1 bar its not 0.7 is it. :oops: