missfire / hesitation help please

Carlb

hi recently my car has developed a missfire it happens when at light throttle and its a real pain when trying to take off from junctions its like it goes to cut out it also does it when i am going along at all speeds rpm doesnt seem to affect it i did have this problem about a month ago and i swapped the whole distributor it did seem to be ok but now its the same again i have changed the plugs,leads,distributor cap,rotor arm,fuel filter with no diference its on the verge of being undriveable any help please

thanks
carl

frp

I've just had a similar problem turned out to be the fuel pump wiring and the pump itself. worth a try?

Carlb

at the moment im willing to try anything cheers for the advice i will check it out tomorow.

carl

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Carlb said:
at the moment im willing to try anything cheers for the advice i will check it out tomorow.

carl
Try out the search function as well,you never know it might be of use :shock: :doh:

Carlb

ok i have now done a fault code check and i got 12 i have replaced the maf and cleared the code and tried it down the road the car was no different i did another fault code check and got 12 again also i checked the plug it looks in good condition it also has a wire going to the battery earth terminal any ideas or procedures on how to check it anyone??
thanks

Last edited:

youngsyp

Sounds like someone has tried to re-earth/reinforce the earth for the MAF. Have a search for those specifics and you should find the info you need. I can tell you, you'll need a multi meter and basic knowledge about how to use it. You need to check the resistance at the MAF and voltages across it etc... Renewing this wire wouldn't hurt !

If you have a Maplin near you, get some contact cleaner. It's basically isopropyl alcohol (pure alcohol) in a spray can. Take the MAF off, and squirt it over the metering wire. Give it 30 seconds for the alcohol to evaporate and stick it all back together. It will get any crap off the metering wire without damaging it ! Spray the MAF plug and harness with it, and any electrical connection you can find too, to clean them up. It won't damage anything and by unplugging and re-plugging in things, you may fix a dodgy connection.

You could look at your fuel filter too. Recently I had an erratic misfire (on a trailing throttle and at wide open throttle), changed all the ignition consumables, and it turned out to be a dirty fuel filter.

Just try to check anything to do with the fuel delivery and ignition, you'll soon start to eliminate things !