Misfire

Jamaala1

Hello folks, just got my gti-r today :thumbsup: ... The excitement lasted a mere 5 minutes. The car didnt initially idle, (it had been sitting at the dock in toyko for 7 months now) after jumping the battery, i tried taking it for a quick spin.
The car will not rev over 3,000 rpm at all, not even in neutral :doh: and it misfires like crazy..
With the SAFC unplugged idles fine but still misfires... black smokes coming out the exhaust.

The car has, K&n intake, and SAFC, everything else stock.

Give me some help guys,:sad: I stuck at work, any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

warringtonjack

Check that it hasnt had some parts pinched while its been sat in the docks. i.e. a boost controller or something similar. Defo sounds like a boost leak to me.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Jamaala1 said:
The car will not rev over 3,000 rpm at all, not even in neutral :doh: and it misfires like crazy..

Give me some help guys,:sad: I stuck at work, any suggestions would be helpful.
It could be possible that the ECU is detecting a problem with the engine and going into “safe mode” that’s why it won’t rev over 3000rpm.
Try doing a fault code check (see forum FAQ’s for how to do that) and see what it comes back with.
Check all leads, your dizzy, and coil pack; all these areas are prone to causing your possible misfire

Jamaala1

thanks guys i pull the ecu for the code later today

My friend messed with the safc, and now the car revs like normal but is running pig rich. Black smoke is still coming out the exhaust.

Again thanks for the help.

GTIR-LOZ

if you dont need it remove it, i.e if you only have standard maf you can remove it totally and im sure it will be fine sounds like your settings may be wrong

Jamaala1

yea my friend took out the safc b/c he thinks there garbage. I reconnected all the wires and the car runs alot better now. But damn, the b**ch burns gas like crazy.
Thanks for input everyone

GTIR-LOZ

to be honest i think they are pretty good if you know how to set them up, they are a cheap way to fit bigger air flow meters and tune the fueling