Misfire??

B

Binny

hi guys.

i've been looking into a slight misfire and asking people some questions but i dont seem to be getting anywhere, can somebody please help??

heres the problem...

i've just had my mot for this year and the car passed fine, but the guy doing it said that when he held the revs at 3k ish to do the emissions test he heard a very slight misfire. he did it again so i could hear for myself, and there was a tiny pop occasionally when he held it at 3k.

after asking a few questions he advised me that i should change the leads as they were the probable cause.

a trip down to my local nissan garage and a new set of leads, a dissy cap, and rotor arm are on order and will be fitted 2mora. the guy at nissan, like the mot tester, said its more than likely the leads, not the dissy cap and rotor arm, but i havent changed them since getting the car so thought i'd do it anyway.

1 thing the nissan guy did say it could be is the spark plugs. i have the NGK BKR8EIX, and they were the ones everybody suggested i use for running 1 bar. nissan man said it might be worth changing those too. i only put them in back in march and i dont do millions of miles.

the mechanic said that the car was running rich, as he could smell the unburnt fuel.

he also said that it wasnt misfiring when it was revved higher and faster ie, from 1k up to 6k. it was only very slightly when it was held at a certain revs.

anyway, i got the car back tonite and the misfire is still there after changing the dizzy cap, leads, plugs (old plugs perfect as well), and rotor arm.

it really is only a small misfire when held at a low rpm but yet you cant feel a thing when your driving, so do i have a problem or shall i just ignore it, cos i'd never had noticed it if the mot tester hadn't pointed it out!!

is this something that is going to lead into big problems if it isnt fixed??? or can i just ignore it as it isnt effecting performance or drivability?? + does anybody know how i do fix the misfire?????

please help!!!

binny

W

WoOsH

do an ecu fault code check if that comes back clear check the gap on your plugs.

B

Binny

The fault code is clear 5-5. how do i check the gaps in the plugs??? dont the BKR8EIX plugs come properly gapped ready for the car, or can you order the same plugs with different gaps??

P

pulsarboby

if it runs ok leave it! as they say if it aint broke dont fix it!

W

WoOsH

mis fires do have a tendency to get worse with time. most plugs do come pre-gapped but I had a similar problem with my R so I reduced the gap on the plugs by 0.1mm and it cured the problem. The fact your ecu is reporting everyhting ok is a good sign, it could be be ignition timing. what fuel are you runnning? also how are you running 1bar?

B

Binny

greddy profec b spec 2 for the boost, either tescos 99ron or shell optimax for the fuel, the ignition timing is standard according to the doc which i've been told is fine as long as i'm running super unleaded of some kind. my shell station is less than a week old and they are only doing the optimax at the mo, but they have told me they will have V-power within the next week.

binny

G

goob

I had pretty much the same problem and replaced the plugs and it seemed to fix it, but i see youve done that. could it possibly be the coil?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Find out if it is running rich, that may be causing a slight fouling of your plugs and the slight misfire.