Misfire and kangerooing

A

Ash10

I have a problem with my freshly-imported 'R...

Under certain conditions when accelerating (ie: overtaking), the engine coughs and splutters for a second or so.

This happens anywhere between 2500 and 6000rpm, with moderate to high amounts of throttle, and (from what I can see of the gauge out of the corner of my eye, three-quarter to full boost).

Driving slightly more sedately, the problem doesn't occur and it will pull strongly all the way up to the red line - but I didn't buy this car to drive sedately...

The plugs and leads have (supposedly) been changed, and the dizzy cap/rotor arm also (supposedly) appears serviceable.

It's now had a couple of tanks of Optimax through it, and it seems to be getting slightly better - or that could be my imagination.

Any suggestions?

geetee

Blocked Fuel Filter or shite in the fuel lines.

Clean your MAF

Worth checking the state and gap of ur plugs too.

Cheers
GeeTee

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ash10 said:
The plugs and leads have (supposedly) been changed, and the dizzy cap/rotor arm also (supposedly) appears serviceable.
Do they look new?

Ignition timing may be worth checking incase it's detting. Do an ecu fault check to be on the safe side. See here

It could be crap in the fuel tank or something like a broken wire in the injection system making and breaking at certain times.

Is it on left handers with a low fuel level?

A

Anonymous

Fast Guy said:
Is it on left handers with a low fuel level?
argh, hate it when that happens! first time i thoughts i'd blown the engine :oops: :roll: :lol:

M

memski

Ash10 said:
The plugs and leads have (supposedly) been changed
I'd double check that, from the symptoms sounds like it could well be the leads.

A

Ash10

Thanks for the help so far, guys :D

Okay - the error code I get is 55 (Other Malfunction. CONSULT Terminal Required ) :?

I've checked the leads, and they look pretty new - can't see the plugs without a spanner :wink:

Happens regardless of fuel level - sometimes everything is fine and I can overtake everything in sight, but more often than not it's kinda embarrassing... :oops:

j10gtr

Code 55 is all clear no fault codes present.

I would be looking at the ignition circuit ie plugs leads dizzy cap for starters.

thanks
Paul

A

Ash10

I've had the plugs out - new NGK PRF7B's gapped to 0.9mm (well 0.88 actually :wink: ), leads are new and look good quality. Dizzy cap looks okay (to me, anyway) , assuming that 2 of the contacts are supposed to be different to the other 2.

Things seem to be getting worse - idle is now very erratic, varying by anything up to 400rpm according to the tacho, and occassionally coming close to stalling.

Any recommendation where I could get this thing looked at and serviced? Somewhere in Bucks/Berks/Herts would be nice...

Fire & skill

Vintage member
had probs like that before on my RST a few years back although its a completely different set up, turned out to be a dodgy dump valve, leaked a bit when it was hot. car tried to compensate by overfuelling then starving itself. coughing and spluttering then sometimes cutting out altogether. just thought i'd mention it cos you never know! :)