Mines ECU

I noticed Pulsarboby is selling one on his GTI-R-US thread. Are they any good? im re-building my engine with forged pistons, but everything else standard. I did a search on here a found out the mines ecu can run up to 1.2bar?
Anyone no more about these... i have a grand sat in my bank for my re-build and its burning a hole in my pocket :lol:

P

pulsarboby

they have a much more aggressive map with ignition than standard ecu and yes your correct that they run at 1.2bar boost.
you can run a standard ecu at the same boost level but car will feel slower than the mines unless you have nisstune daughterboard fitted and full remap on it.
i think the mines is a good bit of kit but some you have to watch as they had no rev limit on them which is a dangerous thing
this ones all ok though!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd probably skip the Mines and go straight to Nistune. - I don't want to do Bob out of a sale, and it's a good upgrade for a relatively standard engine. It's just that you're then stuck with the Mines map instead of the standard one, and you can't remap it if you want to change the injectors or MAF. If you're happy with that though, it's all good!

STU666V

I have a mines in my car, run at 1.1 for 3 years and now at 1.4 bar tailing off two 1.2 at high RPM as i need bigger injectors. Made 330bhp. standard engine and turbo.

hkspulsar

If your only running 1.2 bar of boost max then what is the point of going to the expense of forged internals?

Again all to their own, but just think save the money and invest elsewhere.

shroom

If your only running 1.2 bar of boost max then what is the point of going to the expense of forged internals?

Again all to their own, but just think save the money and invest elsewhere.
My thoughts exactly, save that 1K and spend it on something else, or save it. stock can take 1.2 bar easy and it can cost as little as 500 quid for a full stock engine :roll: I know you are having to rebuild yours anyway but might have been easier just to buy another stock engine and tackle your blown one over a few months then have a spare to go in ;-).

yes I appreciate what your saying.... But while the engine is in bits i just thought i might aswell whack some forged pistons in there just for peace of mind really. The car will be off the road for ages anyway as by the time i get the engine re-built, summer will be ending. I will just keep it in the garage all through winter so it gives me a long time to sort the whole car out.
The mine ECU then, is it just very similar to standard but with a more agressive fuel/timing map? Does the map take into account any mods (i know a zorst and air filter doesn't make much different but still...)
I just want a nice safe engine when im done that will give me near on 300bhp.
Cheers.

P

pulsarboby

i kind of agree with what people have said above really but......if you only want 330-340bhp then whats wrong with running a chipped ecu?
you then do not have the expense and probs associated with fitting bigger injectors, bigger afm, mapping and costs.
that power level will keep your engine safe and within its bounds.

only thing i will say is do not run the mines whilst you are running your new engine in....just run stock boost with stock ecu

Got the ecu yesterday cheers pulsarboby :)
Fitted it last night and went for a spin; tried it on 1bar first and noticed the difference already. Then I ran it on 1.2bar......... good god!!! very impressed with this, i didn't know whether to smile at how quick it was or cringe at how much damage I was doing lol.
I'm re-building the engine soon anyways as most of you know so not too bothered at the moment, although I don't want to trash the engine if i can help it.
Question is though, once I re-build my engine and run it in properly (..ahem...) is it safe to run at 1.2bar all the time with this new ecu?
Reason I ask is because when I floored it last night, the boost held nicely at a tad under 1.2bar but the power seemed to start varying a bit at high revs if that makes sense? (almost like it holding back a bit, then going for it, then holding back a bit again).
Cheers.

Fusion Ed

Just check its not going lean. I see that more often than i want too on stock pulsars trying to run 1.2bar.

P

pulsarboby

glad it all arrived ok, told you they were aggressive lol
make sure your boost controller gain is not too high as it sounds like its surging boost to me.
also im taking it you have a walbro pump fitted?

shroom

sounds like your having fun, nice easy mod it sounds

1.2 bar aint that fast wait till you get a real turbo and some boost through it ;)

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just strip out your car, much cheaper, less damage to the engine and also surprises other GTiR owners (power to weight) 8)