Milage issues?

warrenmccallum0

Ok guys so I might be doing a deal with my mps for a pulsar....it has 129k..just had recon turbo....pretty much standard...no crunches in gear box(apperntly)and rust starting on rear passenger arch.... shady service history.......I'm gonna have a look,just wondered what other things I should look out for as it's quite high mileage.
Cheers

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Other than the usual checks, I'd say take a good look at the sills and floor pan for rust, and the shocks will probably be gone if they're still the same ones the car rolled out of the factory with. A rebuild may also be needed so check the oil pressure is good

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Look for fluid leaks from the clutch master cylinder behind the pedals, and from the slave cylinder down the side of the bell housing. - Not an expensive job to fix either, but replacing the master cylinder is quite fiddly and too much hydraulic fluid on an organic clutch will cause it to fall apart.

If there's rust on the outside arches, pull the carpet back and look at the strut towers since the inner arch is likely to be rusting too.

I wouldn't worry too much about service history; it might have had new oil and filters regularly installed by the last owner... but the log books are long gone for a 20-something year old car. - Even MOT history is likely to be patchy as people tend to SORN the car to do big jobs then get it tested to put back on the road.

Take a look at where the wheels sit in the arches; particularly the front axle. - If one side is sitting further back it's almost certainly a bent wishbone... which means that someone has twated something quite hard and there may be other crash related damage. - On the upside it does seem like the wishbone is mean to be a sacrificial part that bends before the chassis legs.

This time of year it might be hard to tell if there's anything wrong from the exhaust because you're going to get a load of condensation anyway. - As long as it's not blue and stinking of oil smoke; especially if that's why a new turbo was installed.

It's also worth considering that 129k miles (most of which are actually kilometres) is no more than ~6500/year depending on when it was built.