Mid to high rpm grunt! Cams?

johnsy

Iv had a search through some old threads abouts uprated cams, did nt really find the answers i was lookig for:roll:

In a nut shell, id like more mid-high end grunt from my engine. Which i may add is in standard form, bar ACL B.E shells. Im still using the standard tubby @ 1 bar, other mods include the basic,

Air filter,shortrun intake
autobahn88 ss manifiold
uprated Elbow
good old goose dp & zorst,
Mines type ecu

What do you's guys who are in the know think? which cams would best compliment my me-ga setup?

cheers Dan8)

stumo

Cams are alot of hassle for not much gains esp with an essentially stock setup.

Change your turbo before doing anything.

johnsy

so you dont think the standard setup would benefit much from more aggresive cams, Im not to sure i want to change the turbo just yet,

im only after achieving mid 300's bhp wise and as much torque as possible.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Standard cams are actually v good for most purposes and changing them for a more aggressive profile is expensive for not much gain. As above change your turbo to hit mid 300's or turn the boost up a little to say 1.2 bar to hit about 320 ish bhp but you will risk earlier turbo failure if turbo is still standard untouched factory unit.

johnsy

uprated (walboro)pump already fitted, i believe the tubby was rebuilt with 360 journal bearings. i aquire most of my parts fom pulsar boby so its from a reliable source

i am going to get my avcr setup to run 1 and 1.2 in the near future, i think my car is already pushing out around 310ish at the moment @ 1 bar, ill be getting power run at the same time as the avcr gets setup, so ill be able to back that up

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
As stu said different tubby, more important is bigger on the turbine side
I'm sure someone (possibly you) told me that the cams have more of an effect on a N/A engine, but little effect with forced induction because the compressor is doing most of the work. - The advantage was in adjusting the cams so they they make better use of the turbo?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Just had a quick look around search "standard cams" and there are a few really interesting threads with good results.

johnsy

had a quick browse through some of those threads, one being an old one started by myself back in '07 lol.

mixed opinions, some yay some nay, but after reading through a couple, im i right saying that the standard cams are setup pretty conservativly

Inlet Opens 14degs BTDC Closes 54degs ABDC
Exhaust Opens 60degs BBDC Closes 8degs ATDC ----- one post said to ajust accordingly----- inlet +5' exhaust -2'

im just confusing yself now lol, are the standard cams adjustable or do they require adjustable verniers??

should i just forget about it lol