mayo

nismo-400R

hi all,after 4.5 years of trouble free driving the r i found some mayo,not in the expansion tank,not under the oil cap,not on the dip stick either but there was some in my forge oil catch tank and the pipes that are attatched to it,its not losing any water or oil either,has my headgasket gone guys?car drives fine and boosts fine aswell,thanks in advance

EVOBAD

do a water headgasket test then you will no but if it isnt using water& boost ok then keep driving it & wait & prey

Braveheart

I do not think you have a head gasket / engine problem.
I believe the gunge you are seeing in the catch can has been produced due to condensation build up in the bottom end that then evaporates when the oil heats up and takes the easiest point of exit being your catch can.

youngsyp

EVOBAD said:
do a water headgasket test then you will no but if it isnt using water& boost ok then keep driving it & wait & prey
:doh: :lol:

Don't worry mate.... As Scott has said, the water is just condensation that builds up in the engine. This will mix with the oil vapour coming out of the crankcase and for the browny gunge.

You'll see the same thing with your exhaust in the morning, because the metal gets colder than the surrounding air, it cools it and it condenses to form moisture. This will then evaporate again when the engine is started and warms, and will condense again in your catch tank, when the engine cools after shut off.

You'll notice that when you do small journeys, this moisture level will increase. I don't use my car to get to work now but, when I was doing 2.5 mile journeys in it everyday, I had to empty the catch tank every 3 weeks or so.

Paul

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
Braveheart said:
I do not think you have a head gasket / engine problem.
I believe the gunge you are seeing in the catch can has been produced due to condensation build up in the bottom end that then evaporates when the oil heats up and takes the easiest point of exit being your catch can.
this happened to me last year aswell just empty ur catch tank and ur sorted :thumbsup: :thumbsup: