Marks lined up but no Tdc

projectgtir

Trying to get my piston Tdc .
The marks on the crank pulley are no-where near Tdc on piston number one, I've been turning the crank what feels like forever and it doesn't seem to be changing at all. Infact pistons 2 and 3 are closer to being Tdc when the marks come round.

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

All I've done is remove the head and chain tensioner .

bob the builder

with the head off it should be simple to get tdc as you can see it get to the top of the bore.
is it a standard crank pulley?
take the pulley off and check that the keyway is intact.

projectgtir

Yep it's a standard pulley bob . Didn't realise the keyway could fail . That's why I'm confused as I thoought that it would be impossible for the pulley to be wrong.

So just to try and write this clearer when I set no1 piston to around , marks on the pulley are nowhere near the pin that comes out the side of the block.
When the marks on the pulley reach the pin the no1 piston is at the bottom of the pot .

bob the builder

first thing to do is remove the pulley,check the keyway and inspect the pulley to make sure it is intact.
then go from there.
if the pulley and keyway are ok,what you could do is set no1 to tdc the mark up your own mark on the pulley.

Trip

are you trying to align the chain marks to the sprocket markings ?

If so you might have the chain skipped a tooth or two on the crank side when removing the tensioner.

projectgtir

Looks like the pulley is to blame.
After removing the bolt and untentioning the belts I tried pulling the pulley off and the outer part spins separate to the middle keyed part .