map sensor vs afm

Jgti-R

what are the benifits of using a map sensor over a afm if any?

from what i know so far the map sensor would be more accurate at higher revs but will loose a little low down drivability

is this true?

any help/advice would be nice! cheers!

A

AJ4

Map sensor seems to be the first choice of most people, although depending on the system it doesn't compensate for ambient air temp and can make off boost running a bit crap. From what I know though, the people who have converted Pulsars to MAP systems ( motec and suchlike ) have no problems at all.

AFM is very accurate and compensates for air temp, but means sticking a whopping great sensor in the airflow :( Worth having in this country though where ambient air temp can vary from -5 to +25 degrees....

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
AJ4 said:
Map sensor seems to be the first choice of most people, although depending on the system it doesn't compensate for ambient air temp and can make off boost running a bit crap. From what I know though, the people who have converted Pulsars to MAP systems ( motec and suchlike ) have no problems at all.

AFM is very accurate and compensates for air temp, but means sticking a whopping great sensor in the airflow :( Worth having in this country though where ambient air temp can vary from -5 to +25 degrees....

On that point with my new ECU is have also purchased the 3.5BAR MAP, EGT and Air Intake Temp sensors as just running the MAP sensor isn't enough for a safe map with UK weather...

Rishi

A

AJ4

you should be pretty safe up there, air temp only varies between -5 and 0 degrees all year round :D:D:D

Jgti-R

cheers for the advice guys!

tuning's a minefield ain't it! :roll:

some good points, back to the research me thinks! :lol:

A

AJ4

My opinion would be stick with the AFM system ( but a bigger one than the standard one ) for anything less than 400 bhp, before you think about converting it all to a MAP system.

Jgti-R

it'll probably be about the 400bhp mark, having trouble finding a z32/q45 at the mo so was considering the MAP

A

AJ4

fair enough, if your aiming for that sort of level then I'd agree and go for the MAP sensor. You just know your not going to be happy with 400 and want more anyway :D:D:D

Jgti-R

i don't think my wallet will allow anymore than 400! :lol: :lol:

i'm sure i'll be happy with that........................for a while! :roll:

it's booked in for mapping at the end of feb so need to sort this loose end!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Jgti-R said:
it'll probably be about the 400bhp mark, having trouble finding a z32/q45 at the mo so was considering the MAP

I'll have the Z32 MAF for sale in a few weeks...

Rishi