machine work

smoked

alright all

just had a quote on the machine work for my rebuild, its basically £1200. The price im not to bothered about but its just giving that much money to company i no nothing about and their work could be substandard. Heres the list and prices

block

refaced/skim £36 plus vat
pressure and crack tested £36 plus vat
bored out £120 plus vat

crank

balanced with flywheel, clutch, pulley and rods and pistons balanced £160. plus vat
reground if needed £110. plus vat

head

gas flowed
ports reshaped and polished
head chambers reshaped and polished
pressure tested
crack tested
valves refaced
valve seats re cut
refaced/skim
valve guides checked
and pretty much everything else ive missed off £495 plus vat

inlet/throttle bodies matched to head £60 plus vat

can anyone recommend anywhere that will do it for a similar price and does good work, i got a quote from these as they are quite local, impulse devlopments in rochdale.

cheers

chris

smoked

oh yeh i was not disputing that i dont mind the cost as such, its just its a big lump sum to give to someone you know nothing about. just wondered if anyone could recomend anyone in the northwest for similar money?

smoked

well its just that ive never heard of them or heard of anyone getting anything done by them. it was just piece of mind really as i dont want to build it all up and there be something wrong due to lack of experience on their behalf.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Are they proper engine builders or just general machinist?
If they work on engines alot, they should know all the stuff they need to.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What's the company name? There are a few of us around Southport way, one of us might know them. Say where they are located too as the little machine shop I use I couldn't say what their company name is.

smoked

yeh if you could try and remember the name of the shop near southport if you recomend them, that would be great.