Lower arms and steering racks

S

Stoned

Well I got my bumpsteer kit fitted and when I took it to get the tracking done I was told they couldnt due to play in the front end lower ball joints

So I took it to my mechanic and he tells me I need a new lower arm on the passenger side (you have to replace the whole thing apparently) and my steering rack also has play in it

So quick question, the lower arm is £115 and a simple job to fit. What should I be looking at to get the steering rack swapped over. There doesnt seem a lot of point in getting the bump steer kit on there to sort out week handling if there will be other chinks in the armour elsewhere

Cheers :)

Pete Watson

I thought Nismo did uprated Ball Joints!

Not sure about the rack, where exactly is the play, you may be able to buy Track Control Arm Kits, worth checking!!

Rgs Pete

S

Stoned

Yeah they do, unfortunately I need it working properly by the end of tomorrow so I have no choice but take the Nissan OE part. I shall certainly bear the Nismo items in mind and replace both sides with them when the drivers side dies.

I've been doing some searching and it appears new or reconditioned steering racks go for about £100 on this forum. Does this seem reasnoble?

Keira

you can get ball joints from a motor factors that will fit, think they're primera ones, be about £20, its been discussed before :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

Cambridge_pulsar said:
You don't need to replace the whole arm though do you? I thought you could just press the ball joint out and replace it... :?:
hope so :lol: thats what im gonna do, iv a spare set of arms and an anti lift kit to fit on it 8)

A

Anonymous

iirc,isn't there uprated bushes for the steering rack available as well :?
would probably be a worthwhile mod if you can get them :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
oap-r said:
iirc,isn't there uprated bushes for the steering rack available as well :?
would probably be a worthwhile mod if you can get them :D
Ashills did them I think, don't know if he still does or not :?

gtir bean

i done one of mine the other week with a gti one and it cost me about a tenner,need a press to get the old one out and the new one in.

dave

those ball joints from primera which one works with GTi-R? from a primera/g20 chassis P10 ('90-'96) or P11 ('98-2002)? or maybe sunny/sentra B13?

the lower control arms from primeras P10, P11 or B13 works with the GTi-R?

please help! thanks in advance...

Jonesy

As said above get one for the pulsar gti they fit and you can use a vice as a press if you havn't got access to a press.

dave

sorry but i m at latinamerica, the common cars here are sentra B13, B14, B15, primeras P10, P11, no pulsars GTi and i am the only one with an gtir

A

ard1ey

Do any of the Sentras round your way look like your GTi-R? If so, just get the replacement balljoint for that model car and it should fit. The balljoints I fitted were from a bog-standard N14 (same shape as the GTi-R in UK).

You might have some fun getting the steering rack out though if it is knackered, it doesn't look easy...

abyss

You dont even need a press just take the clip off the ball joint and get a big **** off hammer and dw40 that will get it out.

youngsyp

abyss said:
You dont even need a press just take the clip off the ball joint and get a big **** off hammer and dw40 that will get it out.
You will need a press to put the new one back in though. ;-)