Low rev probs!!

D

damien4uuk

Hi all, im having a little trouble with my r. It idels lovely at about 900-1000 as soon as you hold it at about 1500-2000 it starts sort of putting?(cant think of a better way to describe it) when your driving its fine if revs are above 2500. And also today i noticed it sounded like it was only fireing on 3 when i started it. And then when i gave it a little there seemed to be blueish-black smoke, Please help.
Ohhhh ps, just want to say the site looks a load better now.

D

damien4uuk

Just a quick update, All leads, coil , dizzy, rotor arm are new or newish. And plugs have done about 500 miles, Im not 100% sure of the right gap for my plugs but it seemed fine when they first went in. Im really stuck for ideas now and its bugging the hell out of me. Any sugestions would be great.

GTIR-LOZ

blue oil is burning oil black is overfueling. check to see if you have an air leak atall to start off with also what fuel are you using i have had probs with the tescos stuff

D

damien4uuk

no boost leaks as far as im aware, apexi will usally show signs of it. as for fuel i use shell optimax and havent yet had any probs with it. What else would cause it to be burning oil? Im starting to think the worse and maybe a piston going??

GTIR-LOZ

it would show a boost leak yes but maybe not an air leak from somewhere else maybe best geta compression test done and you need to work out if its def black or blue smoke could be a dodgy air mass or fueling prob if its black smoke but blue and you are prob in trouble:???:

D

damien4uuk

Theres nothing like good news. I will give it a comp test at the weekend. I hope my baby's not going to die on me

D

damien4uuk

Just gave my little r a compresion test results are as follows
cyl 1= 140 psi
cyl 2= 130 psi
cyl 3= 130psi
cyl 4= 130psi
Im not sure of what the psi should be? Does this sound ok or is it bad news???

D

damien4uuk

umm hadent been running long maybe a couple of min at most why?

GTIR-LOZ

as long as they are roughly even it should be ok yours seem fine to be honest, maybe a little low but nothing to worry about may be as it was not too hot it really sounds likemore of an air leak or maybe dodgy fuel was there any water in plug well number 1?

J

justin666

What spark plugs are you using.???

I only ask cause I had all those symptoms when using HKS plugs. Car would run sweet for a few hundred miles then start missin and generally playing up :evil: Before I found the cause I was convinced I was having piston trouble as the car would appear to run on 3 every now and again. Switched to NGK plugs and its run perfect ever since.

J.

D

damien4uuk

I didnt find any water in the plug wells, and im using ngk plugs. When you say an air leak where else should i be looking cos i am well lost! . there is no boost leaks so im not sure what you mean by an air leak.. Cheers for the prompt replies guys.

GTIR-LOZ

you could have a small crack in a pipe etc best check is top get some wd40 and while the car is idling then spray around pipes etc if the revs rise then you have an air leak, its a quick and easy test, free also if you have a can of wd40 around, could be a plug lead dizzy cap or plugs as mentioned above or even an injector! if you can swop some stuff from another "well" car then thats a good tst too

D

damien4uuk

just run me motor and lowerd the boost and prob has been cured. Cheers for the advice