low mpg

S

sunny special

3 gallons done 30 odd miles 60kms. ive noticed that my wires have come of the lambda sensor. the cars standard. any ideas welcomed.:-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That should only affect it when you're idling.
I'd be looking at the TPS and your MAF. - I currently get 240 miles out of each tank of V-power, but that's only because I've got a 60 mile commute to work and it's about 95% on the motorway.

POBODY what do you mean when your idling?? what other things would the car do with a faulty lamda sensor? as i caught mine a little putting the engine back in??

thanks

sam

S

sunny special

the wires are ripped out only the red one connecting, just bought a new one and a fuel pump. what else should i be looking at? tps whats that mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
and where would i find it pal?
Ok, this might sound crazy... look on the end of your throttle bodies (just near the dump valve) for it. ;-)

POBODY what do you mean when your idling?? what other things would the car do with a faulty lamda sensor? as i caught mine a little putting the engine back in??
I mean the lambda sensor does nothing once the throttles are open and you're onto the injector/timing maps. It only comes into play at less than 1500rpm (or something like that, I don't remember) when you're off the bottom of the map. - It's referred to as "closed-loop" because the sensor feeds back to the ECU what the mixture is, and it adjusts the fuelling accordingly; without the lambda sensor the ECU will just default to whatever the bottom of the map is... which is generally not a problem.

S

sunny special

thanks again. topman.
now replaced the lamdba sensor. still drinking. now fitted a mines ecu.
now if the temp sensor wire is off would the car think the engines cold and throw in more fuel?

Last edited by a moderator: