Low idle ... Help please

bevis

So, my car idles extremely low, shut off at times and also has a hard start... I have to blip the throttle to start it and keep rpm up or to keep it from not shutting off. It idles around 250-500rpm. Vacuum pressure is at -10psi, if I pump brakes the vacuum goes around -7psi may even shut of at times.. Sounds like a vacuum problem but I can't seem to find any leaks.. I've search the threads but not seeing any low idle issues... Does anyone have an idea as to what my problem might be? Or has anyone had this problem before??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you tried adjusting the idle back up with the screw on the inlet manifold? - It's always possible there was a vacuum leak that you've fixed, so now the screw needs to be backed-off a bit.

bevis

Have you tried adjusting the idle back up with the screw on the inlet manifold? - It's always possible there was a vacuum leak that you've fixed, so now the screw needs to be backed-off a bit.
I backed out the idle screw like u said, it seems to idle better, a tiny bit lumpy but jus over the 750rpm mark but vacuum pressure still remains the same (around -10, -8psi) so am still a bit puzzled.

vss irvine

Big black round part the brake master cylinder bolts too.

Theres a rubber pipe with a one way valve inside it.

Goes to the inlet manifold.

bevis

Think I found my problem... Driving to and from work today, I noticed my BOV wasn't opening, so I took it off tonight, gave the vacuum pipe a suck and a pull and discovered its leaking :doh: slapped the stock recirculating BOV in... Prob solve... But it's venting to atmosphere and the spring is pretty weak, so it's open on idle (which I had to readjust)..so I'll be looking a new one