Loud engine noise through speakers.....Help!

B

Brett G

I pulled away and it just suddenly popped then came all the engine noise! :cry: Everything else still works normally and everything is well earthed on the amps etc??
It only happens when the RCA leads are in, so its getting that signal from something before that but I'm hoping that its not likely to be the head unit itself :roll:
Any advise :?:

A

Anonymous

I think there is a noise supressor thing on the alternator, check that it hasnt become disconnected, looks like a small cylinder attached to the end of the alternator .

if its this it should be a wizzing sound that raises and lowers with engine speed .

zia

make sure rca wire are away from power sources and that the remote turn lead is not near any power cables, have you routed them seprately?

zia

J

JamesB

had the same prob in a major way - something went pop in my HU. Cheap to fix apparently (dunno yet)

B

Brett G

I've had the Head Unit out and had a look now and there's nothing obvious! I tried using another set of RCA's to help diagnosis and the noises were still there so its not the leads or the routing as I ran these leads outside the car! :cry:
Hey Moon it is exactly that whizzing sound you described, almost sounds like my car is one big turbo (plus a bit of crackling and interference etc).
I dont think the volume control affects it either, i.e. stays the same level no matter what...(I think anyway, I'll check that again)

zia

is power turn on lead seprate as well? and are there any speaker touching power cables? are the amp earthed jointly and is it good earth contact?

zia

B

Brett G

Still haven't had the chance to look at anything in detail but I'm gonna wire another stereo straight to the battery with a little speaker running off of it and see if the noise is still there, that'll narrow down a few things (that would suggest the suppressor :roll:)..... i think!
My battery only has the earth lead going to the engine and I take it that the engine is bonded to the chassis (is that normal?), just out of interest do any of you know what would happen if this bonding/earth lead from engine to chassis was damaged?? I take it all the other systems would be noticably affected??
Cheers guys,
Brett

B

Brett G

P.s. All the routing has never changed so that would suggest the noise would've been there from the start i would of thought, Im fairly confident its not the routing, unless its now damaged!!?