losing interest

soin

just got my R back from the nissan dealer were theyve been trying to sort my oil water mixing dilemma and my high oil temp issue ... the car was blowing coolant hoses 3 in total have cost me 650 gbp to replace and re fit .... this time theyve put a new thermostat in and finally my oil temps are back to normal 90 ish ... a smile came on to my face at last ....until i got home and checked my coolant reservoir .... 30 miles later and the res is looking like a sludge pit ... it just looks like its full of oil ...... i seriousely cant take anymore ,i feel like taking the car to the breakers and telling them to crush it in front of my very eyes ... 6 months ago i had the motor rebuilt with forgees and a metal head gasket 3.5 k cost , its only done 1400 miles since and im back to where i started pre rebuild with oil in my cooling system , lots of it and it makes its way into the system fast .... ive just bought a second hand oil cooler off mr gtir in case my coolers duff , but ive heard you probably have to remove the engine to change that !!!! wtf ........my patience is wearing thin with my R its bleeding me dry with no results ... the engine builders have said that if they d rebuilt the engine incorrectly i would have seen signs way before 1500 miles .... basically they dont want to know ....

im at a total loss , i cant keep dumping money into it , but i dont want to lose my invested wonga neither ... im sure as it stands the cars worth about 1500 quid ...

CruiseGTi-R

Hang in their bud.

I would keep hounding the place that re-built the engine, 1500 miles and somethings given out and you want it sorted.

They should find out what it is, and it should then become clear if its their fault.

Even if you have to agree to pay for them to look at it (you would have to pay anyway for someone else to have a look), it should be them who take it apart. Be there when they do it too. If they don't want to look at it even on a paid basis then full consumers rights acts etc should be clearly explained to them.

All else fails, send rob (vpulsar) in :D

Nissan dealers are very £££££, and many are not too familiar with pulsars, let alone sunny's, avoid if you can even if for ££ sake.

O

Odin

It sounds like head gasket to me :roll: which would defo be down to the engine builder, I think there trying to make the problem go away :roll: .

Who built this engine for you mate?, Was it nissan?.

I'd get some legal advice if I where you :wink: .

rob

Gray

Yeah almost certainly head gasket. Take it back to them and get them to sort it out.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Was the oil in the water the only symptom? ie no water in your oil? rough running? otherwise I may have suspected a head gasket.

Did you have your head checked for flatness on the rebuild?

Has your coolant hoses stopped blowing off now? (That would sound like a head gasket pressurising the cooling system.)

If that has stopped, then I 'd recommend changing your oil cooler. I've had oil in my water for the last ahem ages :oops: It seems to have been cured by an oil cooler change, just the residual seems to be working it's way though to the overflow bottle now.

Someone else also cured the oil in their water problem with an oil cooler change recently.

ram5ay

Like everyone sais I'd get on to the folk who built your engine, 1400 miles is barely run in, so they cant really say it's not their responsibility. A pressurised cooling system and oil in your coolant would suggest head gasket prob to me too, if it went to get a rebuild because of one or more of these probs then the engine builder should have taken that into account, and ensured the problem was sourced and rectified properly.
If they give you any probs speak to trading standards, they are allways helpfull to clarify your rights :wink: .

soin

all along ive had a nagging feeling (hoping really) that it could be my oil cooler , ive got one on the way from andy chan , but apparently fitting it is a nightmare ,poss engine out anyone know for sure ?
my head was skimmed during the rebuild , ive also got mayo on top of the rad, will have to check for water in the oil ...

performance wise its hard to tell , my throttle pos sensors on the way out and the car idles between 1500 -3000rpm and with a 5 zigen decatted system its annoying to drive in traffic .

its never overheated , no obvious smoke and seems to run fine whilst on the move ....

the rebuilders said whoever was currently checking the car over should carry out a leakdown test to see if i have a stuck valve or tappet , can oil enter the cooling system this way ?

on a recent compression test done at nissan the results were 10bar across three cylinders and only 8 bar on the last cylinder

thanks for all the feed back guys ill keep faith an somehow get the R back keep the suggestions flowing

CruiseGTi-R

10 bar is about 145psi, standard is around 160psi, so it sounds a little low, especially on number four where it would be about 116psi.

Can't remember what allowable range is, someone will know on here.

You gotta go back to the engine builders, have to be lean on them hard. Just be nice and clear and arm yourself with a little consumers advice if they start being difficult.

1400miles is bugar all, you didn't thrash it in first 1000 or so though right?

Did re-builders ask to see it after 1000miles for a look over, give you any advice about run-in and stuff?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
soin said:
the rebuilders said whoever was currently checking the car over should carry out a leakdown test to see if i have a stuck valve or tappet , can oil enter the cooling system this way ?
Nope it can't, but it could cause the low compression. You're allowed 1bar diference between cylinders :(

My oil cooler was done with the engine out as it was out for a clutch anyway. The only thing I could suggest is ring Steve at Tom Fergusons motors in Newcastle and ask him if he thinks it could be done in situ.

The mayo in the rad will be from the oil cooler if that is your problem. I'd certainly change it (if andys old one is 100%) before you do a head gasket etc.

soin

received oil cooler today , got a mechanic taking the car next week ... my coolant system is no longer pressurising since i changed the thermostat ... oil temps are way back down also ... he s gonna try and swap the cooler over first to see if it stops the mixing , if not its engine out again , im gonna put some pressure on the engine builders also ...ill keep ya all posted thanks for yer advice

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
soin said:
he s gonna try and swap the cooler over first to see if it stops the mixing ,
If it's as bad as mine was, there will be alot of residual oil in the coolant system and thatcould take ages to come out. I'd suggest watching the oil level to see it you stop losing oil :wink:

soin

thats a good idea , the car goes off tommorro... according to nissan book labour charges an oil cooler change books out at 2.2 hrs labour , it sounds like it can be swapped with the engine in .... ive ordered a throttle pos sensor too , 3 weeks from japan £49 ... im gonna get to the bottom of this if it bankrupts me ... i just love the little black rice box i ll keep you all posted thanks again for your time all of ya

soin

just a quick one ,,, with a rebored block and oversized pistons should the compression figures change or will they be the same as a standard engine