loose feeling on front drivers side

olliecast

Afternoon all,
I've had this loose feeling through the steering wheel when going over bumps and it seems to be coming from the front drivers side wheel. It used to do it slightly with my standard shock on but has gradually been getting worse and still does it with my teins on. I can feel any noticable play in the wheel when jacked.

I've currently changed the anti roll drop links, lower ball joint and the shocks but it still persistsm

I've been getting a bit of braking vibration through the wheel so not sure if there connected?

I have a bumpsteer kit to go on with brand new bearings so may fit that first.

What do you guys think, could it be my outer cv joint gone?

Cheers,
Ollie

Last edited:

olliecast

I meant I can't feel any movement when jacked up but its won't let me
Scroll accross to edit on my phone, lol

GTiR-Aholic

Vibrations when braking is most likely warped discs.
Loose feeling could quite possibly be your inner-ball joints on the track rod arms (that's the inner track rods, not the ends).

If you want.. pull the gaitors off, then get a small monkey wrench and anti-clockwise screw the trackrods out of the rack.. then post them down to me and I'll tighten them up for you :)

olliecast

Thanks very much mateym

This is naking an audiable knock though when going over bumps. Sure its something more outboard

GTiR-Aholic

Can well be the inner ball joint. Easy way to check jack wheel up and disconnect trackrod from the hub then hold it up and let go (if it falls straight back down you've got too much play in the ball joint)... it should be able to hold itself up.

If it doesn't hold itself up, it'll just knock itself around.

olliecast

Ah right, I'll try that matey.

What's good checks for the cv joints and outer rod end? Just to rule them out

GTiR-Aholic

The outer rod end again should be quite tough.. not so flimsy to move around.

I'm not sure how you can test a CV joint but the replacement kit is about £25-30
When you jack the wheel up, check the wheel for any play as well.. if there is then the wheel bearing may need tightening as well but not sure if it can be done on these as I've not looked at them.. I ordered one from Euro's for £30 for myself as I had about 5-6mm of play

olliecast

Thanks very much matey, will check this.

Its wierd as it only appears to have really gotten worse since I started taking more kerb at events.
And to be honest, the curbs on some tracks are like hitting cattle grids flat out

GTiR-Aholic

I don't know much of what it's like on track but I get a few customers ring up with similar problems where they've curbed their wheels or driven over pot holes and bent the track rod arms.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I had a really 'loose' feeling whenI had excessive toe-in. Is it possible you've bent the wishbone and that's your problem too?

olliecast

Hi mate,
Driving along its completey planted, around corners etc. The only time it does it is when the front either drop into a sharp hole or goes up a sharp incline.

I'm running 2deg degative camber for sprinting. But ny toe is checked and its fine, that's what I don't get about it.

Any thoughts?

olliecast

checked the rack today and seems fine. There a tiny amount of movement side to side but the steering wheel moves to before it reaches resistance.

Everything else seems fine. The track rod ends are in good nick, the top mount is nice and tight on my teins.

Lower ball joint seems good (as its brand new!)

Could it be the driveshaft?

antgtir

Sounds either bush or suspension orientated to me. Check the lower arm for play, jack car up and place a lever under the tyre and move up and down whilst someone else looks at the movement if any in the bushes attached to both car and lower arm.

Check you have tightened the anti roll bar drop links also.

How old are the teins? check for leaks etc.

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

also check the hub to strut bolts are tighter than tight, these have a nasty habit of moving around if not really really tight
i doubt its a cv joint tbh if not above then as ant says use a lever bar under tyre and check all joints especially on the lower arm

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The Tein top mounts can make some knocking noises when cold over bumps so it could be bushes. Bushes would also give strange toe effects if really worn. It might be worth getting a front lower arm bush too and change that at the same time as the rear anti-lift Kit. That will rule out another couple of things. Also, check your tyre pressures if you've not done it already as that can make a car handle strangely if unbablanced.

olliecast

well it got through the mot fine.
The knock is still there though.
Especially when going up onto speed bumps with an inch or so curb on them.

fitted my bumpsteer kit but its still there.

I`ve got the castor bushes on the front wishbone, does anyone do the internal bushes for the front wishbone?

GTiR-Aholic

damn this must realllly be pissing you off lol.. I thought you would have had it sorted by now.

I would have done them for ya as I've got a lave, pillar drill and plenty of poly but our engineer has skipped off to another firm so will soon be on the hunt for a replacement.