looking for about 280bhp ish

A

Anonymous

right aint got the car yet but im trying to sort a budget out for building a 280bhp pulsar. Brakes i have acconted for but its the engine i would like to ask about. im thinking of the following mods:

Apexi SAFC
Apexi Boost Controller
Front Mount Intercooler
Full Exhaust System
HKS Induction Kit
Organic Clutch

With these mods will am i being realistic? Any suggestions are welcome

cheers for the help

kev 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What ever you do, don't ask Kieron about 1bar :lol:

Try a search on it first, allegedly there's about 780 results :p

PS incase you haven't guessed yet, you'll need to go to 1bar to get your 280ish bhp :wink:

paz

Yes you're being realistic. Just needs setting up then to run 1 bar of double decker...... sorry I mean BOOST, and jobs a good un.

Paz

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You'll need to add Plugs to that list too mate...

PM Japerformance... he has some NGK Grade 8's that will do the job for 1bar...

Only £35 too... :shock:

Rishi

O

Odin

I wouldn't bother with a front mount matey if your only going for 280bhp, The top mount is fine and will save you a few bob to :wink: .

1.0-1.1 bar should see you to 280bhp ok, I would add a new fuel pump to your list just to be on the safe side and budget for a proper set up on a rolling road as well.

With all that done you should have a good solid motor 8) .

rob

Timur 008

Hi pulsar_kev

I agree with Rob about the front mount etc.. :wink:

p.s. I have the following

Apexi SAFC II
Apexi Boost Controller
Top Mount ARC Intercooler (nicer then standard)
Full Exhaust System
HKS Induction Kit
Organic Clutch
& uprated full pump & it hits the 280bhp mark at 1bar

O

Odin

Timur 008 said:
Hi pulsar_kev

I agree with Rob about the front mount etc.. :wink:
I'M ALLWAY'S RIGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BY NOW :shock: :lol:

rob

warringtonjack

If i was you, i'd spend your money on an upgraded fuel pump rather than the clutch. iirc the standard clutch is capable enough at 280bhp, might need to get a support bracket tho. topmount is fine. Get a full de-cat exhaust system, altho depending on age of car, will be an issue come MOT time.

I get 289bhp from 1bar and 301bhp from 1.1bar with the mods listed in my siggie.

Cheers

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
warringtonjack said:
If i was you, i'd spend your money on an upgraded fuel pump rather than the clutch. iirc the standard clutch is capable enough at 280bhp, might need to get a support bracket tho. topmount is fine. Get a full de-cat exhaust system, altho depending on age of car, will be an issue come MOT time.

I get 289bhp from 1bar and 301bhp from 1.1bar with the mods listed in my siggie.

Cheers

Standard clutch won't last 1 week at 1bar boost...

paz

RishiGTiR said:
warringtonjack said:

Cheers

Standard clutch won't last 1 week at 1bar boost...
He's managed about 6 months IIRC, and another lad managed 18 months :shock:

I suppose its down to how sympathetically you use the clutch, along with its age. At 1 bar my current clutch would slip straight away, but Warrington Jacks was only fitted a week or so before he turned the boost up - again IIRC.

Safetys sake though, I'd say an uprated clutch is worthwhile though - from what I've read and been told.

Paz

A

AJ4

Just luck really on clutches. Brand new clutch in mine, weeks old, lasted less than a week at 1 bar. Friend of mine, standard clutch, lasted over 2 years at 1.4 bar....

R

RJC

Standard clutch won't last 1 week at 1bar boost...[/quote]

What sort of clutch is needed for 1bar, and how much is the cost fitted?

paz

A

Anonymous

cheers for all the imput peeps, much appreciated. So all i really need to add to my list is a set of iradium plugs and an uprated fuel pump.

also the front mount aint really needed.

cheers again and hopefully should get the ball rolling in the not so distant future :wink:

skiddusmarkus

I've read your other post and you say you want to have 400bhp potential.An organic isn't really going to be up to it.There are some on here who've used them but I don't know for how long before they start to slip.The Helix organics are rated around 330lbft I think so won't be strong enough.
That leaves either a paddle clutch(not great for the gearbox) or an imported one.There are a few organic S13 kits around that claim to be able to hold that power.

A

Anonymous

cheers chap, will bare thatr in mind when we get the box off. should have mentioned the later plans really but didnt think. cheers again 8)

J

jiw

I think the RPS organic clutches have that power capacity claimed, wether they hold that power in the R is yet to be proven, try SRB power, jeff

geetee

Standrd clutch won't last 1 week @ 1 bar..... just a little bit of a sweeping statement. Depends how it's been treated before really, I ran 1 bar for about a year (15000 miles) before the clutch started to slip.... sometimes they slip straight away.

Whatever, if the clutch slips, turn the boost down again..... if it's slipping it won't last at all.

Anyway... is 1 bar safe on standard internals??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had to say it.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)