Little bit of blue smoke on startup

S

Stoned

Morning all. I was chatting to someone this morning watching my car after just starting it and noticed there was a little blue smoke coming out the back which appears to go away as it gets warmer.

Whats that likely to be then, the turbo getting on a bit?
It's at 90,000 miles or more now so I guess it's the most likely culprit.

Cheers

S

Stoned

lol, should only be another turbo if so as the bottom end was rebuilt 20k miles ago and it's not had a hard life by any standards.

Just wanna know if I should look to replace the OE turbo as I have a good opportunity to replace it coming up.

Mad

whip it off ( easier said than done :D ) and have a look at it. The blue smoke on start up is usually oil weeping through the bearing when the engines off and settling in the bottom of the turbo housing. Then when you start up it slowly burns off, hence the blue smoke. You should also get a puff of smoke on the over-run, as the vaccum draws the oil through the bearing.

Remove the intake pipe and see how much play there is in the shaft, and look for oil in the turbo housing.

S

Stoned

ok fella, fair enough. I'll do that and then I suspect it will be time to look on Ebay for a cheap replacement!! :)

Mad

Well I'm borrowing a turbo off Nigel that I will only need to borrow for a week... maybe he'd be interested in selling it ?

S

Stoned

God said:
Well I'm borrowing a turbo off Nigel that I will only need to borrow for a week... maybe he'd be interested in selling it ?
Is it just another plain T28?

Not really interested if so as i'll take the opportunity to upgrade a little.

Mad

:doh: What he said... never thought of that :oops:

Its a T28 AFAIK, not sure on spec though, its for a 200SX. Need to ask Nigel for the details.

Nigell_d6

It was bought from America,

Basicaly its a refurbished T28 with a uprated compressor suitable for 350bhp at the wheels, (so 200sx-400at flywheel) any more than that I have no idea as I didn't buy it for myself, just coughed up the money as usual. If you are interested Stoned just let me know. The cost price with taxes was £300 so bare that in mind. If you decide to look for a turbo, there's a place in Christchurch which is a good place to start, not cheap, but are reliable and helpful, pm me if you want the company address etc

and yes, could be the stem seals, haven't got any of them though, Hilsea's cheap enough

Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
S

Stoned

Does it spool up quicker or anything like that?

I'm not looking for a massive boost on power because my target was only 300bhp or so, but if I did replace the turbo I would like to get one that spools up a little quicker and gives more power

How much did you want for it if it were to sell, PM me that if needbe.

Cheers