liquid metal,wheels,powder coat

johnny gtir

Can anybody advise please ? Ok so i have some wheels with curbing but i want them perfect,had my heart set on powder coating them. slightly to much curbing to sand them plus i dont want to damage the rim.I was going to put a bit of liquid metal on as bodge will stop the powder coating sticking.I can not find any liquid metal for to withstand the 190 degrees they bake them at the highest i could find was 177 deg.There are some places that use a cool bake system just not around here nor are there any decent wheel spray places as above looking for a source similar to liquid metal to take 200 degrees

johnny gtir

he said they fire theres at 190. so i thought to be safe if i could get something that takes 200-220. I wounder how the wheel repairers do it unless they spray paint all damaged wheels ?

warpspeed

the powdercoater I use told me 180c is the max that should be used as any more than that can make the alloy brittle and it can then crack if you hit a pothole etc

red reading

the powdercoater I use told me 180c is the max that should be used as any more than that can make the alloy brittle and it can then crack if you hit a pothole etc
So what happens to alloy when you pre heat it to weld it?

And my mate powdercoats and the oven is set at 180-190, but that is for more commercial things not just wheels.

warpspeed

I don't know Danny, just passing on what the powdercoater I use has told me, he's been doing it a long time and has a good reputation so should know what he's talking about, I don't! haha

johnny gtir

This powder coating place is more commercial stuff hence probably why i find it cheap but not the reason i use it.just its on my doorstep and there are none within a long way that do small or car parts.