light throttle = black smoke = ?

D

deslynam

My 'R has started putting out sooty black smoke when accelerating on light throttle and not boosting!
It does it at all speeds, but once it starts boosting it runs fine :?!
When this happens, the engine becomes hesitant and stutters a bit.
Even did it whilst stationary, with my better half giving it a few revs - and it popped through the exhaust which it never normally would without moving.

It started whilst on the return leg of a 2hour journey, can't say I've noticed it before, although I have occasionally had the bit of grey smoke come out of the back when accelerating hard, which from experience/reading up on here is just the petrol smoke.

The oil pressure has been ok according to the gauges (hovers around 3 whilst driving normally). Level & temp is fine as well, currently using Millers 10W40 fully synth.

The only thing that's changed is that before the journey I put 25L of SUL from the local independant petrol station, rather then the usual Tesco 97Ron or Optimax it would usually have.
I'm thinking/hoping it's just the pants fuel, perhaps contaminated with moisture or crud as it's unlikely to be a popular choice at this particular garage?

Anyone else got any ideas? Have been thinking about getting it checked out again at Powerstation soon anyway, guess sooner rather than later would be a good idea :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Black is usually overfueling... Check all things around that... ie. air leak, broken boost clips etc...

Bear in mind that it could be because the ignition isn't firing correctly to burn all the fuel so check the ignition too... ie. plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy, etc...

Rishi

D

deslynam

Alreet, so basically a decent health check then - not quite so worried now! The inside of the exhaust pipe's black like a chimney! :lol:

Could it be due to the lambda sensor being knackered? I was wondering at which throttle point it's overridden - is it only at wide-open throttle?

CruiseGTi-R

iirc it goes open loop at about 3/4 throttle.

Do a fault code, it would bring up if you had a faulty lambda. Also turn the car on while its flashing the code, it'll then flash the engine check light as the lambda/closed loop is doing its thing. It should gently flicker on and off kinda randomly, not flicker madly or hardly at all.

D

deslynam

Had completely forgotten to do a fault-code check - d'oh!
Cheers for the reminder.

Luckily I don't need it for at least a week so haven't got a major panic on, not yet anyhow...

antgtir

Dont drive it until you have carried out the checks Rishi has suggested, plugs (broken or cracked), leads (arcing), Dizzy (worn out connector), Rotor Arm (Worn out or snapped), vacuum hoses for splits etc.

Defo sounds like an overfueling problem, especially as you have said the exhaust popped without major effort and at standstill.

Good luck,

Ant.

D

deslynam

Aye, the only problem is that i'm not around at home much at the moment, and don't have much time to check it myself.
Gotta drop it off at a local garage for them to look at over the next week or so, but hopefully nothing major from what you've said. :(

D

deslynam

Just done a Fault Code check = 55 so fine, thought the MAF sensor might've been partly to blame but i guess not.
Despite reading through various threads I couldn't figure out exactly how to perform the lambda sensor check - i.e. hold the revs at 2Krpm, etc.
Since turning the engine on stops the fault-code check, what else do I need to do?

D

deslynam

Managed to get to the garage today and pick the car up. They can't find anything wrong with it! :lol:

It actually started running fine as soon as I started it up to take it down there, went on an extended run via a Shell garage to get some fuel. Has run fine since too...
Have put it down to cr*p fuel from the village petrol station, even though it was SUL I think it must've been contaminated one way or another. That or my lambda had some crud on it temporarily...

KF79GTIR

if it was your local village fuel you dont know how long it had been in there tanks for it could have been days or weeks old