Light clutch pedal

andy_tt

Hi guys.
Can anyone recommend a clutch which has a light pedal? But capable of handling 360bhp. My current clutch is so heavy I struggle to drive it. I either find a light clutch or sell up. Someone has suggested a helix is lighter than others

andy_tt

I used to be able to drive it ok. But because of a health issue I'm left struggling to drive it so a lighter clutch is the best option

stugtir300

To be fair to you pal the clutch in mine is quite heavy,does give me knee pain from driving it,I just suck it up and soldier on,I won't part with it because it makes me smile everytime I drive it as well as grimmice in pain from the dodgy knee.im all in for that pleasure and pain,makes you feel alive or should I say ready for the knackers yard.

andy_tt

I do love the car and the way she accelerates puts a big smile on my face. But when I come through the town and have to keep stopping for red light it zaps the little strength I have in that leg. Was hoping someone would say there's an easier clutch to use. I fitted a servo on it before but it was unreliable so have taken it off.

Eng1

I guess you could replace the stock 5/8 bore master cylinder with a 1/2 inch one , this would increase the pedal force applied but increase the travel of the pedal ?
The only other thing is fit a more lightly sprung clutch cover and up the disc material spec , but it could slip without the spring pressure

Eng1

A drop from 5/8 to 1/2 inch would give about 1.6 times more force , from the clutch pedal ie less leg push effort for the same result
Hard part is to find a 1/2 inch master that will mount on the same hole pattern and have enough stroke , and that the reservoir and pipe fits to ok

andy_tt

Changing the master cylinder is an idea. Any idea if that one you linked to would fit or would it need alot of modifying. I'm sure the reservoir would be easy to plumb in but would the pedal connection fit?

Eng1

I have no idea , you would need to measure or get the original dimensions - the two mounting hole distance , the length , the pipework is probably the easiest , standard pipe and unions - I just googled 1/2 inch bore clutch master ,you can get narrower bore but that would be more motorbike use as you use your fingers and they are not that strong

andy_tt

Think he only way I will get the dimensions is to take mine off. It's quite handy, that ebayer is only up the road from me so I can take mine and compare if I can't find any dimensions

Eng1

Bolt hole 70 mm centers , the one I put up is 57 mm
So a plate needed , the dims are on the ebay listing picture

andy_tt

Do they still hold the power. Think I'm gonna try a new master cylinder first as it'll be easier than dropping the box. If it doesn't work I will get in contact with helix. Thanks mate

Eng1

You should be able to guesstimate your original , measure the length from the rod as it enters the master to the bulkhead , then the bit that is in the engine bay , then calc that x 5/8 (32mm) and you have the total volume of fluid moved (roughly)
Then the length of the new one x 1/2 (26mm) and if close , it’s possible.
I’ve seen the 1/2 inch master for £25 so not the end of the world but not 70mm , seems 57mm is common
Either weld tabs to the new one and drill at 70 mm or make steel tabs and bolt to the master using original holes and drill new holes at 70mm use something like 1/4” steel for strength so it won’t bend
Sure it will be a faff but you will be a pioneer and that’s always a faff !
the one I linked is 105mm long , so about 1/2 of that would be the piston 52x26 =1352
So your original you are looking at around 84 mm length so 84x42 =1344
But it’s guesstimate to see if it’s possible

andy_tt

Ok. Well I couldn't find any the same size do decided I'm gonna make a plate and weld some studs on so I can fix the plate using original studs and bolt new cylinder to the plate. I will probably get it off at the weekend and see what's what. I think for 40 quid it's worth a shot

andy_tt

Well I've got it off. Found out the pushrod is an m8 thread so will need a new clevis to fit. I may have found one but there's no info on the size of the pin so waiting to hear back from them

Eng1

The 1/2 cylinder inch one looks to be imperial 5/16 version of 8 mm , so drill out original and use 2 x 5/16 nuts , one each side of the clevis - so it can be adjusted in/out ?