Leaky crank seal the story so far...

Tim

OK..

Whilst i'm away this weekend let's see if we can get some answers as to why my car is leaking oil, here is what i know..

- I punched a hole in the front casing when trying to remove the pulley

- I removed the front face and had it patched up by a nice alu welder bloke

- I've had the oil pump out and refitted it back together to torque specs as outlined in the manual

- I've tried 2 different oil seals

- When i fitted the first seal, it held oil until under high load

- Since cleaning up the pulley mating surface and refitting old seal, and new seal oil leaks out at idle

- I get a rather weird scraping noise about 30 seconds after starting from cold which goes away after a little while

So, does anyone know what could be going on? It was suggested that where i've had the front face welded that this could have distorted the metal and made the once circle hole, an oval shape? I also did some searching about the noise, and read that this could be down to a faulty pulley.

I was going to just send it away to be fixed, but after putting a solid month of work into it, it seems silly to have got this far and not fix it myself.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd be tempted to just get a new front cover after the fun and games you've had with it.

darkyGTI-R

I have to agree if the face has been altered in any way it will be very difficult to get it back to the way it was,get a new one that'll solve the problem i'm sure!

Tim

Sounds like the route I need to go down for sure, I'm not sure that will cure the weird noise i'm getting though.

John

Sounds like the route I need to go down for sure, I'm not sure that will cure the weird noise i'm getting though.
Did you rebuild the oil pump?

Nissan offer a rebuild kit if you didnt, would certainly be worthwhile rebuilding it if its of any age and has any scratches etc on the surfaces.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Sounds to me like it might be a combination of things, as carl said above, I'd get a new front cover but on putting it all back together I'd want to make sure that I have cured the dreaded problem once and for all. I would kill all birds with one stone and get a complete front cover (this comes complete with a new oil pump) and crank oil seal from Erics Performance.

Also, have you done a complete rebuild, are you still using the original crank pulley ? have the crank main journals been machined at all ? have you had the head and block skimmed at all ? have you had the if you have then the top (mating face to underside of head) of the front cover will need to skimmed to match the block. If the block has been decked (skimmed) and the front cover left as standard a few times over the years then when you put it all together and torque down the head the pressure from the mating face of the head might be pushing the front cover out of line or distorting it. I dought it would cause a problem unless the mating faces are at completly different heights but it might be a contributing factor worth considering.

J

JeremyGti-r

I had this car before Tim and I'm pretty certain that it has'nt had a rebuild, but I rekon its had a new engine at some time in Japan

Tim

As far as i know the engine hasn't been in pieces, but I could be wrong.

It was certainly on the original exhaust gaskets by the looks of them when I took them off

CanadianR

are you careful to oil the new seal before putting it in? Also, put it in straight! not one side at a time and lever it in - it must go in with all "sides" at the same rate. I used a pipe the same diameter as it and lightly tapped it in. I posted back in your other thread about removing the pulley as I had just done my seal this way. No leaks yet.

If you do decide to get a new front cover and oil pump assembly, can you please PM me with the particulars.

Thanks and good luck!