Lambda Sensor Unplugged

retepetsir

Hi peeps.

Thanks for all your help so far with my newly acquired Pulsar.

My replacement radiator hasn't arrived yet but I've made use of the weekend by removing the old one and tidying up the engine bay/working out what all the wiring is for.

Now I've found a couple of cables not in use near each headlamp, could have been for fog lights or similar? Also another cable which looks to be for the horn (found it loose in the boot).

However I also found the lambda sensor unplugged. The sensor plug was pretty mangled and it wasn't plugged into the loom.

Would this cause the car to run rich, and is it best to replace the plug and connect it back up? I understand that with a remap sometimes they're unplugged, but I have no idea if this car has been mapped (doubt it). I'm also getting the 34 sensor fault so am wondering if that could have been causing the issue.

Any thoughts are welcome. :)

I ran without a lambda sensor for a while and after fitting a working one I didn't notice any difference in performance or fuel economy. Fault code 34 is the Det sensor so I would check that and the wiring.

retepetsir

I've got a replacement det sensor anyway, just wondered/hoped that a lambda fault might result in the same error code. I'll reconnect it back up to see what happens at idle. I've heard it only runs in closed loop at idle anyway.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No - I'm pretty sure a faulty or disconnected lambda sensor shows in diagnostic mode II (which is the one for checking the AFR at less than 2000rpm).