Lack of power after second hand engine install

S

S.J

The first day i got my R, the thing went amazing, couldn't believe the performance, but 3 days later of me buying it, she blew up.
So i bought a second hand engine, 40,000 miles, stuck it in and it doesnt seem half as quick as it did before, by the feel of it, she wouldn't be even pushin out 180bhp let alone 220!
what could of caused this?
All we changed was the engine and the turbo, I'm pretty certain the ECU wasn't changed (if thats the engine management thing (bare with me, I'm a panel beater/sprayer not a mechanic)).

When the turbo kicks in, their just isn't the power their used to be, and 3rd gear seems less pull than 4th, and even 4th is quite crap.

Theirs no modifications to the engine if that helps knowing, hopefully someone can help, i dont want to get wasted by a morris minor again :cry:

cheers

P.S - didn't realy get wasted by a Morris but its slow anyway

Keira

why did the other one blow up ?

Knowing that might answer why second engine doesnt feel as quick :(

mattygti-r

did you have a bleed valve? or other signs of upped boost on the old engine?

reckon it had run high boost

when you bought it did it tick over ok etc,?

suprised 3 days later it went, you could have seen the signs of that maybe

J

jiw

done an ecu fault code check, sounds like det sensor, thats how mine felt, jeff :wink:

kyepan

yer that sounds like a mates evo, he got it sold to him with the boost turned up..1.5 bar!!!!!! lucky we spotted it on the first day, so he didn't melt any pistons. he had to drive it off boost till we could replace some split hoses and wind back his boost control.

if you were running unlimited boost on the one that blew up that would explain the performance and why it failed. A standard car will feel slow by comparison, but it won't blow up..

Like the others said, try doing a fault code check. if it comes up 3-4 then its time to change the knock sensor.

also you can do simple things to the new engine like plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, etc just to make sure that its running its best.

JB

S

S.J

kieron - Haven't a clue why it blew up, pistons shot straight through my engine and happened to find it's way to my turbo aswell, just to top of a great day. :x

mattygti-r - I'm not sure to be straight with you, but the boost seems the same (Mine is completely bog standard so i just go by the standard turbo clock on the centre dash). But the guy i bought it off told me the car was standard.

jiw & kyepan - How do i go about a ECU fault check? And i assume the "if it comes up to 3-4" is from a diagnostic sheet or somethin? where do i get this?

Bloody newbie 8)
Cheers for the help men .. appreciated.

J

Jamz

defo sounds like you were running more boost when it blew.

kyepan

on the boost guage in the center console, it should go to 6 or 7 i think as standard, you might want to meet up with someone and take a ride in their car, or get them to look it over.

S

S.J

I've done an ECU check an it came up with the AFM code, whats this mean? I could do with information on how to fix it and what it actualy is and where about it is and anythin else, "AFM" means nothing to me. Air Fuel Mixture?

cheers

monsterGTi-R

Its the air flow meter, the part that goes onto the air filter. It could be a dodgy AFM or the conections could be knackered. Ive knocked connections in the engine bay before when Ive been cleaning it, just make sure all the conections are together, if not time for a new meter. :)

S

S.J

Cheers mate

i'll run round now and have a scan at it.
As you can tell from my previos luck .. I'm gonna need a new one .. i know it .. :x

If this is the case .. I just ask nissan for a AFM? how much roughly?

do i need to be sitting down to ready the reply? :eek:

monsterGTi-R

Put a wanted ad in the buying and selling part of the forum, Im sure someone will be able to find one for you! :wink: A bit cheeper than Nissan :shock:

M

memski

I've got a spare one but make sure it's definately faulty before you buy a new one, the hotwire may just need cleaning.

JIMMYBACK

kyepan said:
on the boost guage in the center console, it should go to 6 or 7 i think as standard, you might want to meet up with someone and take a ride in their car, or get them to look it over.
7 on the standard boost gauge in fact nearly a bar of boost :shock:

S

S.J

Has anyone got a pic of their engine bay an could circle what it is i need to check? :lol: sorry but im no mechanic .. if theirs any questions about body work .. dont hesitate to ask 8)

I checked all the leads around the air filter as i know what that is .. but all seem in tact. But what is the exact piece i need to look at in depth.

Cheers men .. we'll get their eventualy, just abit dumb on engines.

:shock:

T

Tart

Should be between 5 and 6 on standard boost. Jimmy's right, 7 is one bar. R U sure the AFM is definately connected up properly. I had a loose connection that caused this kinda problem............Cleaned the connectors and pushed them all home, prob solved.

S

S.J

Is it here?

not 100% what exactly I've got to check the connections on.

:?

S

S.J

right cheers, I'll give it a scan over an a clean .. if its still no go .. memski best buddy old pall .. :lol: