KS

G

GartracS2

Alright mate
If, while on your course, you could find out more about the DET sensor fault code (34) I'm sure lots of people, including myself, would be interested in knowing. Nobody seems to know for sure whether it means the sensor/wiring is faulty or if the engine is detonating. On my car I've checked the resistance of the sensor and it's fine, I've also checked the input to the ECU and that was spot on. If I clear the code then it won't come back until after a drive when the engine has been on boost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Paul
Paul Firth sent me this message which I will endeavour to find out as much as I can. The KS Knock Sensor can become faulty on the S14 200SX and is a real pig to change and general symptoms I have experienced mainly were lack of power and ability to come on boost as the ECU prevents this from happening to prevent engine damage.
I havent experienced KS faults on Pulsar before :( But in my experience with Nissans its easier to check the sensors resistance off the car as it will earth to the engine block so to get true resistance I find it better to isolate KS. To check continuity from each end of the wires from KS to ECM wil ltell you whether or not there is a short to power or short to ground. Unfortunately Nissans tend to have the odd faulty ECM also so be aware that if the KS resistance appears to be correct and the wiring from ECM multi plug to KS is fine and you are sure that no shorts exist then ECM fault is probable.
I am assuming that many of you have access to workshop manuals? My mate Andy Chan has one he is a regular on here. Please note when checking Nissan wiring that there are many connectors and terminals that are not shown in the manuals and many Nissans now and then suffer from Intermittent High resistances in the pins on multi plugs if you are evr in doubt cut the plugs off and solder direct using heatshrink to protect afterwards, new micra and Almera suffer from this where the SRS circuit warning lamp is illuminated due to a slightly high resistance in the sub harness under the front seats.