knocking noise

nismoboy

Ive been getting this knocking noise from what seems like the rear diff, it only happens when your traveling at a low speed in a high gear just as u go back on the throttle it clunks, ive recenty changed the rear diff for a spare and it still does the same, but then this was just one i had lying around and could still been worn too so not too sure. anyone had a similar prob? cheers

nismoboy

Animaldaz said:
subframe mounts?

they seem fine too, ive put a bar under the subframe and the no movement, one thing i have noticed is both my rear wheels move when i turn one by hand slowly, i always thought these should move free until u spin them hard/quickly? could the diff be fooked?

GTi-R23

I think you're always going to get a very slight 'clunk' as the engine takes up drive again and all the mounts etc 'stiffen' up, how loud a clunk are we talking?

nismoboy

GTi-R23 said:
I think you're always going to get a very slight 'clunk' as the engine takes up drive again and all the mounts etc 'stiffen' up, how loud a clunk are we talking?
quite loud to be honest, i see your point but i have 3 gtirs and the other 2 dont seem to do it. Im gonna drop the subframe and have a gd look around the wkend, but if not maybe its just enigne movement? and maybe adding an extra mount would reduce the transmission shunt.

bristy

bangin noise

the bangin sound from the rear could very well be your subframe bushes, i have the same problem, me and a mate checked them out by one watching under the car from the side, and the other sat in the car with the front end raised up on the garage base, we were letting out the clutch enough so the clutch engages but without the car moving. As we were looking at the sub bushes you could see the sub move on the mountings causing a thud under the rear of the car. Ive looked everywhere to get some rear sub bushes without any joy if anyone knows the dimensions of the bushes please let me know and i can get some poly ones made. My car is in use all the time so havent had the time to drop the rear frame and take the measurements. I hope this is of use to some of you

nismoboy

bristy said:
the bangin sound from the rear could very well be your subframe bushes, i have the same problem, me and a mate checked them out by one watching under the car from the side, and the other sat in the car with the front end raised up on the garage base, we were letting out the clutch enough so the clutch engages but without the car moving. As we were looking at the sub bushes you could see the sub move on the mountings causing a thud under the rear of the car. Ive looked everywhere to get some rear sub bushes without any joy if anyone knows the dimensions of the bushes please let me know and i can get some poly ones made. My car is in use all the time so havent had the time to drop the rear frame and take the measurements. I hope this is of use to some of you

that must be what it is. nice one mate, i think one of the members is having some powerflex ones made, should be ready in a couple of weeks.