Knocking noise

J

jpward

Discovered a knocking noise over the past few weeks

and first thought it was the Front arb bushings but it only does it on cornering over bumps and not when wheels are straight so what to check/replace first as i know shocks are ok and rest is original 93 old tat???

J

jpward

Dooie Pop Pop said:
isn' t there a bush for the suspension strut tops?

cv joint?
Not that i know off i have kyb's

and no not a CV should have said that b4.

J

jpward

The engine mount does not look good from memory but i dont think it is touching the strut brace will have to check :sad:

J

jpward

Yeah its only on corners and is like a taping like as if the arb was loose and tyre wear is normal so i ruled out ball joints and rack :?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
On my last car, I get getting tappety tappety knocking noises from the suspension. replaced, the ARB bushes, replaced the dampers, replaced the drop links and finally replaced every other bush on the car.... problem solved... and then the top mounts went :D :D On my R, the front is all new and working through the back now but it does feel like the 4th bridge sometimes.

J

jpward

campbellju said:
On my last car, I get getting tappety tappety knocking noises from the suspension. replaced, the ARB bushes, replaced the dampers, replaced the drop links and finally replaced every other bush on the car.... problem solved... and then the top mounts went :D :D On my R, the front is all new and working through the back now but it does feel like the 4th bridge sometimes.
Oh ohhh sounds like a whole lota bushes :cry:

Are the one's in the arms hard to replace?......do they need to be pressed in/out?

J

jpward

Had a look today when i was susing out what id need to fit the mocal and :cry:

Just about every bush and both ball joints are split 6 months ago all was ok and i now have another cv boot split so 3 at the min with 2 about to be done today so on hold for now bloody R so gona have to re-fit the bush's and see what i get :sad:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Getting out the old bushes can be a pain (normally requires cutting, drilling, burning) and fitting them can be awkward too (Heating and greasing).

For my rear I think there's 12 bushes I need to do!!