Kent camshaft timing

Thor

Hi,

when i will change the OEM cams agains the Kent Sports´R cams (284°/271°) i must set new timing for them? Or is it p&p? I ask because my engine makes boost too late and the timing was correct set at the crank @TDC 20° deg. Is it useful to change the OEM sprockets agains adjustable once?

Can anybody tell me more?

Thanks
Sascha

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It's the cam timing you need to get right when fitting new cams, not the ignition timing, the ignition timing should be set as part of the mapping.

Adjustable pulleys will help, you can fine tune your cams for best power with them.

Thor

Thanks for the fast reply karl! ok my head was planned 2.1/10mm. I think there is a little fine tune possible. how can i find out which is the best settings on the sprockets? only on the dyno? or can i calculate them?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Kent should have provided the timing details with the camshafts.
Some mappers will try swinging them on the dyno and find what works best. That just means trying them a few degrees either side of what Kent recommend.

I don't know if you can calculate it or not, it's not something I've ever come across.

Planned? Do you mean skimmed? 0.21mm was removed from the head to block face?

turugtir

With those camshafts I doubt you will get to boost earlier than before, but you will raise the powerband where the turbo is working now. I guess they are plug&play, but you can fine tune them with the vernier pulleys.

Fusion Ed

Remember if you alter the exhaust cam position you will also need to reset the distributor position.

nimhbk

Remember if you alter the exhaust cam position you will also need to reset the distributor position.
Hi Ed what do you mean by that pardon my stupidity

as i've gone with a hks 264 exhaust cam, and left the other Standard.

and used the stardard Distributor position as shown in the manual!

Thor

With those camshafts I doubt you will get to boost earlier than before, but you will raise the powerband where the turbo is working now. I guess they are plug&play, but you can fine tune them with the vernier pulleys.
Yes i know but i had fit these cams last year. Now i search the problem why boost comes too late. last year i had the GT3076R on mine and the full boost was @ 5k. All other guys who runs similar setup had full boost @ 4.2 - 4.5k !

red reading

Hi Ed what do you mean by that pardon my stupidity

as i've gone with a hks 264 exhaust cam, and left the other Standard.

and used the stardard Distributor position as shown in the manual!

nick,You will no matter what cam fitted have to set the ignitition timing with a strobe/timing light as those marks on the distributor and head are good for nothing really