keeps cutting out

chiefpulsar

can some one please help me.

when coming back from weston super-mare my R kept cutting out.
the engine cut out aswell as the ingnition lights, after a couple of minutes the dash lights will come back on and the engine will fire up, but after 5 mins or so the dash lights will go out and the engine will cut out at the same time.

although the dash lights are out the engine will spin over but wont fire up, but if you wait a couple of mins everything will work fine again.

has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to cure it.

any help or adive on this would be very helpful.

antgtir

Sounds like something electrical is maybe shorting and heating up then once at the hot temps it gives in, then once cooled its ok.:?

Have you tried this whilst stationary i.e. start car and let it run on idle to see if it cuts out again?

Have you moved or fettled with the ECU recently?

Fault code check probably would be a good idea to.

Ant.

chiefpulsar

the car idles fine and after about 4-5 mins and then it happens again everything cuts out the engine dies and the dash lights go out.

no i havent touched the ecu only the apexi afc controller but all the wires are connected fine and so are all the wires around the ecu plus the car drives fine and doesnt misfire in any shape of form.

i have a clifford 300 alarm and it seems like the immobiliser is cutting in and shutting everything down.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Get the alarm checked out then (if you're sure) as it should have an ignition wire to tell it not to immobilise when the engine is running. 4-5 mins is abit random for the clifford tho, I think they tend to be 30secs or 1min or something.

antgtir

From others experience, some Cliffords (if you are an unlucky one) suffer quite badly with damp weather. Something inside the alarm may be playing up.

I take it none of the fuses etc have blown or keep blowing? You do have to splice into the ECU wires to fit the fuel controller so maybe as a matter of elimination look at the connections to the ECU wires to ensure no shorting is occuring.

After that if its all ok and its still doing it then remove the alarm and see if that gets rid of the problem, just a matter of elimination tbh mate.

Ant.

chiefpulsar

got the alarm checked and that seems fine so i've taken the center console out and stripped everything apart, i'm jus gonna go through all the wires and connections from the ecu to the ignition back.

wen i did strip the console back i must have knocked somthing because the ingnition stayed on and so did the engine, its just a process of elimanation. should be fun!?!