K&n

turbazz

i have an K&N filter on my car.. how could i clean it outside is dirty..inside is mint

soak it? or replace

skiddusmarkus

I usually vacuum filters with the bit you use for doing curtains/settees, gets all the dead flies out.Think you can wash K&N but then it will need re-oiling.Check their website to see.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Officially:
Buy K&N cleaning kit (containing cleaning solution and oil).
Spray with K&N cleaning solution.
Allow to soak.
Rinse from the inside out.
Allow to dry naturally.
Spray evenly with K&N oil.
Allow to soak.
Refit to car.

Unofficially:
Wash it however you see fit. - I'm told Daz brings it up a treat, but bare in mind that it will likely leave an oily black residue on whatever you've tried to clean it in. It might as well be dish-washing liquid if you're going to have to wash a sink anyway.
Let it dry, then coat with some kind of cotton filter oil; I'm not sure it really matters which one.

As a note: K&N say that the filter works best when it's dirty. The trapped dirt helps to close the pores in the filter, thus it traps more, but obviously there's a point when it's absolutely clogged and thus restricting the flow. - I guess what they're saying it that it doesn't need to be perfectly clean to be working, so as a rule of thumb I tend to clean mine when I change the oil etc.
That also makes me wonder how valid some of those "which filter is best" tests are; obviously if you're not testing it under the conditions the manufacturer says are best, it won't perform as well as it could.

johnny gtir

be careful if re-oiling the filter i have seen a couple of cars people put to much on it goes on the maf and car runs crap (just a reminder) maybe worth checking it after a couple of runs

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That is good advice. - It's a hotwire MAF so it really doesn't appreciate getting K&N oil on it. On the upside it recovers quite well when you clean the oil back off it.

I've definitely had this problem in the past; it idles fine, but when you really open the throttle it starts misbehaving. Clean the MAF, and it's back to normal.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Fill it with some kitchen roll? - I fitted an M's so I just got used to waiting, but the old "normal" K&N could be dried that way:

M's K&N Vs. "Normal"

lakeview

it would be good to see one in the microwave,i put a plate with metal bits on once in a microwave when i was pissed the bang was loud enough to wake me up after falling asleep on the kitchen floor

rob

warpspeed

Yeah it's exciting stuff, my mother put a pack of dutch crispbakes in the microwave not realising there was foil in the wrapper, was like a lightening storm then it blew up!

turbazz

you know what pobody i did it the offical way K N souliton.. once it dried,i touched it and still black grease coming off. bloody crap! even when washing it out yesterday no blackness hardly came out just a bit..

either its a waste or my filters not bad