jwt 2.4 kit

1000ny

hi all-knowing fonts of information :D

i`ve been looking into the above kit and was wondering which bits you need to get the 2.4.

crank,
pistons,
sleeve liners,
rods,

obviously i`ll need the crank and pistons to increase the stroke/bore size, and the liners to stop the whole thing falling apart. but are the rods essential? i mean ours are pretty good anyway i thought?

what do you all reckon?

J

jiw

if an engine is stroked arent the rods a different length to make upo the deck height?

A

Anonymous

1000ny said:
i`ve been looking into the above kit and was wondering which bits you need to get the 2.4.

crank,
pistons,
sleeve liners,
rods,

what do you all reckon?
if you don't get the rods aren't you still 2 litres :?:

1000ny

yes thankyou fast dude, i checked that out a few weeks ago, what i want to know is your guys opinions on running that kit with standard rods. i know it says rods optional, but are they essential to stop the thing going bang after a few months playing?

1000ny

if an engine is stroked arent the rods a different length to make upo the deck height
i though that, about the rods needing to be a different length until i saw the rods optional bit.

Keira

if your going to all that bother you might aswell fit them.

I paid under £420 for all 4, rated at 200bhp each, no worries of them breaking, shame they never made it to my house :roll: but new set will be on there way soon and claim looks like its going to go aok 8)

Everyone said to me dont worry about the rods but think how p i s s ed you'd be if you didn't do them and one failed,

£420 or whatever the jwt ones are is nothing compared to the cost and grief of a standard one failing :cry:

S

stokie1

tried to buy this kit last september WAS NOT READY told 6-8 weeks
tried to buy it at christmas not ready another 4-6 weeks
tried to buy it mid feb still not F**cking ready sometime after easter they said. Going to ring them this week AGAIN, wonder if it is ready this time :twisted:

beginning to think i will never have 2 R's on the road

A

Anonymous

stokie1 said:
tried to buy this kit last september WAS NOT READY told 6-8 weeks
tried to buy it at christmas not ready another 4-6 weeks
tried to buy it mid feb still not F**cking ready sometime after easter they said. Going to ring them this week AGAIN, wonder if it is ready this time :twisted:

beginning to think i will never have 2 R's on the road
but did you actually order the kit and pay a deposit in sept :?:

if not,they are poss filling orders rather than making kits to stock for general sale as i don't think they would get much demand for the R stroker kit :?

S

stokie1

first they said crank was not finished
then not finished designing pistions, but rods were ready etc ect
tried to put deposit, they said would either ring or email me as soon
as it was finished, but i still keep ringing them ( something to do)
engine build been on hold for awhile now :twisted:

S

stokie1

i have just rang them still under development, maybe ready by summer.
got quoted $4495 / £2700 approx with rods inc v.a.t

A

Anonymous

stokie1 said:
i have just rang them still under development, maybe ready by summer.
got quoted $4495 / £2700 approx with rods inc v.a.t
that's a nice price 8) i paid more than 4k for my farndon 2.2 kit :cry:

zia

the rods are irrelevant because the crank is billet with offset webs(spaced futher out) which give the increase stroke with either stock or billet rods. if you,ve got good set of rods with no indents on the shank, then you will be of ok as no increase loading will occur on the rods because the revs will be limited.

zia

R

Red Rice rocket

that not totally right , if you put a longer throw crank in a standard engine the pistons will come out the top of the block , you would either need shorter rods , or the pistons will have the gudgeon pins higher up the side of them , which effectively lowers the piston in the bore.

zia

that not totally right , if you put a longer throw crank in a standard engine the pistons will come out the top of the block
what's not correct? the piston,s travel is increased therefore the piston actually goes lower into the bore, rather than poping out of the top, with this kind of stroke(94,4mm stock 86mm) obviously it'll never fit the stock bore that's why you need the liners! maximum stroke with stock bore is 92mm. if you change the rod to crank ratio, you,ll upset combustion etc

zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The longer stroke will put the piston equally as much further up and down the block as it's effectively the circle through which the big end rotates that has increased. So it posibly could come out of (or near to) the top of the block, but it will go down by the extra same amount too.

zia

basically what am saying is that you don,t have to go to small con rod length with stroke crank. with stroker the piston deck height is shortened. and sometime the rod is located further up idn the piston skirt.

zia

1000ny

so you`re saying that the crank will alter the piston stroke and the rods do not. hence in theory the standard rods will do the same job as the jwt ones that come with the kit.

i suspected as much.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Correct, the crank determines the stroke, it doesn't matter what rods you use, they'll still move the same amount, wether they pop out of the top of the cylinder or not. :p