Jingling noise!!

J

Jonny H

Ok, posted up a few weeks ago about a jingling noise coming from the engine bay! Seems to only kick in at 2k anything above or below that its fine! Any ideas? Maybe Transmission oil change? :? :?

geetee

If it's a tinkly jingly noise, then it's most likely pinking (detonation).

Usually caused by over advanced timing, lean mixture or shit fuel (unless the engine's running really hot).

You are using Optimax aren't you?

Check your ignition timing (or get it checked)... maybe worth knocking it back a couple of degrees to see if it helps... see the HowTo section :wink:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Main or big end bearings are a (long shot) possibility if it isn't pinking, assuming it isn't something simple like a rattling heat sheild etc.

ashills

big ends or cracked pistons maybe thats how mine sounded when it started to go try taking one spark lead away at a time to see if the noise goes
hope its not but this does seem very common the R

G

gav

Noise

Mine used to do the same and was caused by the bracket that holds the inlet manifold onto the block being loose as the the two brackets on the back intwine into each other. Just a idea worth checking first. :)

J

Jonny H

Going to bluewater today so will check it out when ive parked up that end! :D

J

Jonny H

:lol: That would explain a lot of things! :wink:

Right, quick update. Just got in from Bluewater but was listening for the noise pretty much all the way there! :shock:

I dont think its pinking as its more of a continous, airy jingle! :?

It mainly kicks in at 2k dead on, goes away anything above 2.2k and anything below 2k. Also done a juddery start on the way home :oops: but it done it then too! :? Im thinking loose mount?!......wishful thinking i know! :wink:

J

Jonny H

yea im thinking its a loose mount of some description! Will take a look at it in the morning! 8) Thing is though its going to be hard to pin point where its coming from (If it is a loose mount) as it doesnt do it when the engine is running idle! I'll have to get someone to sit in the engine bay whilst im driving, pressing on all the mounts to see if the noise stops! :shock:

I

IrPWR

I had the exact same thing but when i pulled the turbo off i found it was a cracked heat sheild around the turbo.

A

ard1ey

Mines got a jingly ringing noise as well, but it tends to do it more when you're slowing down :?:

I'm fairly sure its the front part of the exhaust, might be another place for you to check. It will sometimes do it when the car is standing still, but you have to rev the hairy sphericals off it = unhappy neighbours :D

J

Jonny H

yea it does do it when im slowing down too, but normally around the 2k mark and when the engine is at running temp! Hmmmmm.......

A

ard1ey

Hmm - I wonder if taking the whole exhaust off and trying it is an option :D :D

It'd prove a point, but I reckon it might deafen the planet as well :lol:

C

chris-b

i had this couple of months ago, people said big ends too, but without listening its hard for people to tell! Anyway, get some one to hold it at revs where noise can be heard and get a long screw-driver and press it against things-i.e exhuast parts and bracket----- mine was a v. slight loose turbo heat shield!! try that!!!
should do the trick!