Is it possible to repair my ECU?

chrism

Ive fried the track in the ecu which is the track for the ground to the MAF. Must´ve shorted them. Im wondering if it is possible to by-pass the burned bit. The two red dots in the picture represents where I imagine you could solder a by-pass thread on. Im clueless when it comes to electronics so forgive me if Im talking pash.

nex

i think anti static will be the last of your worries.......... the board i most likely laquered. You will need to scratch that off and the green coating back to the metal track, i found a good craft knife is fine, dont rush just take it slowly (if your are heavy handed you risk further damage which isnt worth 20 mins of your time).

Pre-tin a small piece of wire on each end once you have done this "tack" to either side of the break where you have cleaned, if you have some liquid flux a dab on the exposed track will help. Keep heat exposure again to a minimum (this is why uou tix everything up first)

you may find replacing it for £10-20 might be easier though unless you are good with a soldering iron ! Also most circuit boards are multi layered with tracks in between laers, you may have damaged one of these which obviously you cannot reach.!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, if you know where the connections should be going you can do it yourself. - I'd recommend a gas soldering iron; not only does that not use electricity, but they tend to be a slightly lower temperature too (so no chance of an earth leak that could fry sensitive electronics).

grim_d

I would do a trace repair on that but if you can't solder well it might be difficult.

A small wire between the two points should be fine, not too thick though.

eastwood

look at the picture again, just short over on the two solder points you have highlighted!
Make sure you clean it with acetone first (nail polish remover) and a cotton bud there is a lacqure on the board and solder joints and use a a good soldering iron with a small tip.

chrism

Ive got someone whos gonna give it a go. I have 2 spare ecus if all goes pearshaped.

I tried a new standard ecu but as I have a q45 on it it through up a fault code. I managed to get the car going this time but it went rough. Ive double checked the harness and theres no short on it and its whole all the way through. It felt a bit better as it went on tickover, 400 revs albeit.

ashills

chris send ed a pm on here or im sure he'll be on later its one of his ecus so will be able to say what to do with it

cheers allen

ps how did that box i made up hold upto the power ??

chrism

Ive just finished putting it back together. The gears are fine it was the fork to 3rd and 4th that snapped. But,the rest of its holding up great. Its been launched a good few times too. However,TBH,the cars spent more time in the garage than on the road. The first thing that happened was the oil pump went,on the way home, causing the big end bearings to go.Luckily enough it started knocking the second I drove into gothenburg.I gave it some serious stick on the autobahn ;) Ive renovated the engine myself and its fine now. I can tell you it was a steep learning curve fixing the bugger.