Internal Engine Cleaner??

antgtir

Has anyone ever used an internal engine cleaner before i.e. just before an oil change you pour this gunk in and it thins your oil and drags the crap out of the engine. You drop your oil as normal and fill as normal.

Have people had negative or positive results from doing this?? Im personally a bit dubious on doing things like this especially with it being an old engine i.e. coked up seals and seats etc.

What are your thoughts??

Ant. :D

OZ-Racing

:shock: :shock: :shock: Don't do it in my opinion. I've always had old cars and always been told to steer clear of such products.

What I do if the oil starts to look a bit gunky on the oil change, is get a bottle of the cheapest oil I can find, put it in the engine, warm the engine up, then drain oil and change filter and fill up with nice oil.

Never done this in the R though, as I'm not keen on the idea of mixing the oils :?

I wouldn't use that thinning fluid though, ever! :D

antgtir

To be honest thats what i was thinking but wanted to know if anyone had done this and had any prob's etc.

I can imagine with the oil getting so thin it may dmage the turbo bearings etc i.e. not lubricate them :cry:

Ive had two R's now and touch wood neither of them has ever burned a drop of oil and they have always stayed very clean for the interval of change i do :D

Ant.

S

Stoned

My friend once used one of these engine cleaning products on his 100k + vauxhall 2.0L engine. Did such a good job cleaning out the crud that his engine leaked oil from multiple places afterwards.

The crud was probably holding it together :lol:

All in all he wouldnt advise it!

A

alfyboy

i used tech 2000 engine flush at my last oil change as i was changing from 10w60 to 10w50 oil, not had any problems from it.
it is only to be used on idle so i dont see it doing damage to the turbo bearings,
Alfy

antgtir

To be honest my oil when changed is more or less still golden lol so i dont think it requires the flush anyway, interesting topic though :?

Ant. :wink:

Mr GTiR

antgtir said:
To be honest my oil when changed is more or less still golden lol so i dont think it requires the flush anyway, interesting topic though :?

Ant. :wink:
If it's a golden colour then the oil is not doing it's job properly. I did an oil change on mine after 600 miles and it was like black trecile (sp) :shock: I was told that the oil is doing it's job well.

stumo

If you want to add anything to the oil to clean the internals before an oil change use some ATF or other auto box oil as they have lots of cleaning agents in them.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Heres the thing...

If you have never done it before and the miles are clocking up then i wouldn't bother as the carbon deposits all set in and become a part of the engine if you like... By cleaning these out you can actually weaken components in the engine...

If its a newly built engine then you can use Engine Flush from the very begining and you will be better of as the engine will remain clean and clear throughout its new life...

Rishi

T

The Troll

i use tap water to flush my engines it works a treat!:) just bung a hose in the top and pump away!;)

Rishi

The Troll said:
i use tap water to flush my engines it works a treat!:) just bung a hose in the top and pump away!;)

I'll have to give that a try sometime... :lol:

Rishi

O

Odin

The Troll said:

Is that HOT or COLD water fella ?;-) , Sounds very interesting indeed 8) .

I wonder why the top tuners don't use your cleaning system :? .

Rob

Rishi

Thunder God said:
Is that HOT or COLD water fella ?;-) , Sounds very interesting indeed 8) .

I wonder why the top tuners don't use your cleaning system :? .

Rob

I can think of one that probably does... :lol:

Rishi