Interesting Tech Article on Engine Building/Balancing

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
When I saw Sandmuseum, I thought it was going to be a dig at Andy :oops:

It's a long read but well worth it :D

M

MarkMc

Finally finished reading all that. To compare rover engines to Hondas and Toyotas seams comical. I have never heard about people saying that Toyota and Honda motors have problems or inferior to rover K series, but from what I have heard about the mg(rover) motor cars in AUS the motors were a bag of sh :roll: t(from the rover dealers). I’m sure this guy is right about the rover having a better more modern engine design, but as usual rover has the best designs, but poorly executes them( a common flaw with Land rovers too). Anyone who sings the praise of rover motors is suspect in my opinion he even had go at BMW motors who’s he kidding. Rovers are like old dogs that need to be taken out on that last hunting trip and shot(put them out of there misery). I can’t take anything away from this article except a good laugh about sick old dog called rover who should be put down or roll over and die. Hell Id want one of those old cardboard east German cars before a rover powered by a K series.

Mark

skiddusmarkus

Well whenever I think of the K series engine I think of headgaskets going and overheating.That article explains why they are doing it and how to stop it.Makes you wonder why Rover didn't bither fixing the problem in the first place.But then that's probably why they've got such a bad name :roll: .It's a shame as it's obviously got a lot of potenetial.

The engine is used in the UK for Caterhams and Lotuses as it's very light weight with good power and torque,so you have to give it credit really.

M

MarkMc

A lot of rover designs are world firsts(In land rover any way) or leading edge, but the execution or manufacturing has always been very second rate. This is where the Japanese are ahead by country mile and why rover flounders. You can only burn people so many times then they stop buying you product. Interesting article thou.

Cheers

Mark

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I thought Honda helped Rover develop the K-series engine when the companies had a partnership. I used to have the 1.4 16v a long time a go and they were good engines. Well ahead of their time for Europe but the honda engines were always better and didn't have the reliability problems.

kyepan

campbellju said:
I thought Honda helped Rover develop the K-series engine when the companies had a partnership. I used to have the 1.4 16v a long time a go and they were good engines. Well ahead of their time for Europe but the honda engines were always better and didn't have the reliability problems.
I had one of those engines too, kaned the balls off it for 5 years and it never complained once.. dad did the same to it for 96 thousand miles before i had it. kept up with much bigger more powerfull engines if you really wound it up and kept it on song. can't fault it.

Well sad to say this but as much as it comes to innovative ideas but the main pitfall with British cars is it's so unreliable. Pardon me but that's the whole truth. Dont get me wrong here but i feel i'm in a better position to make this claim is that living in this part of the world where reliability is the key word to success and getting u out alive which is why the Japanese succeed and the British cars falters.
Take for example, we have 2 Rangies, the classic and the 4.6HSE.
They are excellent cars in terms of prestige, ride, torque, and excellent suspension articulation. But sad to say they are just way to sensitive and the 2nd gen rangie has x4.6 HIGHLY SENSITIVE ELECTRONICS. That thing has failed us once too many a times. Imgaine having to hire a flatbed to tow the thing hundreds of km fron the city all coz the stupid airsuspension decides to go haywire.
Which is why most people would stick to going into the woods and offroading in their LandCruisers and Hilux. I'm sure a few of u have seen Jeremy Clarkson shagging the daylights and chucking the thing into the sea in Top Gear and it still move.
:roll: :lol:

If only British manufacturers could just sort out your electrics and reliabilty issues i'm sure it would win praises with it's old world charm and well i dunno how to describe it, the "Britishness" quirks and idiosyncrasies that just attracts us.

Probably the other reason why Lotus would go with Toyota engines for its relibilty, meeting emission regs and spare parts. Well oddly i find that Elise with the B18C Type R engines seems much nicer compaired to the VHPD190 that seems to be wheezing abit. Only downside i notice from friend's feedback it's kinda vicious to handle around Sepang initially. Must be a heavy lump.
Oh well enough ramblings.