Interesting one

neil240z

Yo Guys

right, my car has been off the road since beginning of October, I bought the car with the knowledge that the turbo had blown or that may not be the case.

When I first got the car it would idle and rev up fine on the spot though it was running probably about 1.2 bar though after a blast on boost it would put out huge amounts of smoke which suggested a blown turbo, after driving the car for nearly a week it escalated into mega smoke off boost also so I knew it was curtains for the engine.

My engine is nearly rebuilt now and the lands on two of the pistons were crumbled to nothingness, so the question is, was it the piston lands from the beginning and the turbo is ok or was the turbo shagged and it was my terrible luck that i knackered the engine in less than a week??

the turbo has pretty much zero play in the shaft and someone with more piston land melting experience will know this!!

kind regards

Neil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd be tempted to say it was the ring lands from the start.
Ginga should your expert in this area :wink:

Keira

me 3..

nine out of ten housewives in the rnn14 smokey sr20det doorstep challenge prefered fooked ringlands over a dodgy turbo :?

neil240z

cheers guys, nice to have a second opinion.

Mr GTiR said:
Neil, i know it's off topic but i thought you had a new replacement turbo? :?
I do dude, just checking so I can sell my T28.. :D

O

Odin

Maybe a few bits of piston ended up in your turbo as well :cry: .

rob

O

Odin

Maybe a few bits of piston ended up in your turbo as well :cry: .

rob