Interesting article?

GTiR-Aholic

omg that would explain what happened to me the other day!!

My car felt as though it was driving rear wheels only.. i sat there for hours thinking it was a foooked ecu lol. Had to park up and walk because all day car was fine in snow then i hit deep spots and plenty of them.. jus messing around really in the car park (on my own lol) and abs light flicked on and off few times.. then the back end just kept wanting to slide all the time and was spinning all over the place like a drunken pulsar..

Can anyone confirm the facts?

Nice post dude!

nismoboy

what a load of bollocks! lol how the fook can a pulsar be 100% rear wheel drive. It takes its drive from the front so it can never be rear wheel drive without the front wheels moving unless u weld up the centre diff and remove the front drive shafts.

R

riske

Cant find anything on the net that says whether it does actually transfer 100% to the rear, but have found out that ATTESA stands for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All-Terrain.

saddler

somebody has got it wrong as i was only reading the same article a few weeks back online but it was for the skyline R32 gtr

GTiR-Aholic

It does sound mechanically insane.. for to to run 100% to rear. Because the o/s/f drive shaft is what drives all four wheels.. without that shaft in the car won't move and with the shaft in.. you have to ATLEAST have front wheel drive .. baffling.. I think maybe my front abs was pumping (hence the flicking on dash) causing back to spin..

Would be lovely if it was possible though :p

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Go out driving in the snow at it seems to adjust most of the power to the rear.. Does with me anyway.. Not sure what the max it will transfer to the rear is though.. I'm sure one of the more 'in the know' will comment soon enough..

GTiR-Aholic

Go out driving in the snow at it seems to adjust most of the power to the rear.. Does with me anyway.. Not sure what the max it will transfer to the rear is though.. I'm sure one of the more 'in the know' will comment soon enough..
So it does transfer to rear in the snow.. did your abs light start flickering?? lol

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Going sideways, tail happy, the ABS was the last thing i was looking at.. I never saw anything flash up unless i was on the brakes..

R

riske

i always thought the split was never 50 50 anyway more like 60 40 to the rear. This would be exaggerated when in the snow as the rear has slightly more power and would cause the tail to be happy but on normal roads you wouldnt notice it much.

warringtonjack

Surely the split will be constantly changing in varying conditions? It'll only be 50/50 (or whatever) when runing along a smooth road surface. Won't the power be distributed to the point of most resistance? (i.e. the rear wheels if the front are spinning, like when launching?)

ram5ay

My car felt as though it was driving rear wheels only.
I would recon this is down to the GTIR having an open front diff, but viscous center and rear diffs.
Once everything starts to spin you will tend to get drive to both rear wheels, but only one front wheel.
and abs light flicked on and off few times..
This is because the abs system thinks there is a fault since it is seeing different speeds from the front and rear wheels, which would not happen under normal driving.

;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Doesn't the ATTESA system in the GTiR just incorporate a series of differentials? It's about the most basic one they made because it was one of the first iterations, and although it has the same name is not in any way related to the Skyline version. <Clicky>

I don't see how it could ever transfer 100% of the power anywhere; it just does a torque split for each wheel and then another one for each axle - whereas the system in other cars (like the Imprezza) uses a hydraulic LSD to adjust the proportion from a standard 80/20 front rear bias (although Holden use a 20/80 split in their AWD systems to keep the tail heavy feel).
Anyway; as I read it the Pulsar will give you 25% of power to each wheel (like a real 4WD car as opposed to an AWD car), and as soon as that wheel starts to spin it takes the power away from it and sends it to the other wheel. Likewise back to front; but you'd be working pretty hard to spin one axle without the other one spinning too - that's why it feels like it's bogging when you do a hard launch; it's splitting the power equally to each wheel, which means that they won't spin... or they'll all spin (which is a spectacular sight).

I've never seen my ABS light come on under this kind of situation, but it has when I've stomped hard on the brakes. I've seen the traction control light come on in other cars, but my old girl doesn't have one of those.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not sure that it's doing what it's supposed to there. Logically it should be trying to redistribute the power to whichever wheel(s) isn't spinning.
There's no fancy electronics remember; the car has no idea that's snow, there is no 'snow mode' like you get in a Skyline.
What you should see is the wheels start to spin, then the power go to the front... then balance out once the car gets moving. I appreciate that might not be what happens in practice... hell, maybe the viscous coupling is too viscous in the cold?