Intercooler

A

Anonymous

Allo every1, im in the market for getting a GTI-R{aint got 1 yet but soooooon} :?: but im wondering what differance a front mounted intercooler makes, ok you get cooler air but does it make any differace to BHP just by adding one of these? :roll: Soz if i sound stupid but i aint verry technically minded :oops: :shock: :oops: Cheers Scott.

M

memski

Fmic will allow more boost to be run safely with reduced risk of detonation. All things kept the same you should feel an extra hit of torque further up the rev range and reduced heatsoak when sitting in traffic (pipes can still be heated going into the plenum so it's never 100% eliminated).

P

pschurr

Don't forget that you're going to increase the lag time with a fmic. It will take longer to fill the extra volume before it hits the throttles.

For constant driving performance, the factory IC is fine (IMO). For start/stop, then its not the best. Remember that the car is designed for rally, so not exactly traffic-light-bumper-2-bumper conditions.

The factory ic is probably the BEST factory fitted IC to ever come out of Japan for ANY car. Its there for quick response (short path between turbo and throttles).

peter

J

J-GTi-R

...and the ARC top-mount improves on that. Now if only I could find one...

P

pschurr

Oooh... now that's an upgrade I'd do without hesitation.
There's one on a proper rally R here in Melbourne (Nat's). Nice.

peter

A

Anonymous

Thanx everone for your replys :D . What is the best £ for BHP up grades i can do, that will not effect reliability?????????? :wink:

M

memski

Best £/bhp is to not change it at all, reliability won't be affected by any of those.

Only worth doing if you want to turn the boost up past 1.2bar, and if you're worried about reliability then you won't be doing that :wink: