Intercooler piping Flow Help

rich1216

I'm re piping my front mount and im unsure what is the best option short run with tight bends or long run with gradual bends.
I no alot of people run forge front mounts which have a short but tight and twisty pipe run which baffles me a little because i would of thought that the bends would reduce flow drastically but on the other hand my cooler i have now has a really long pipe run which is probally half the length again of the forge set which will create more lag but has smooth bends. It may seem like im over thinking it to some people but i really want to improve my flow so any suggestions or ideas would be good.

Thanks

Rich

Jon Olds

Good thread. Interested also. Changes in pipe diameter through the system and into , out of the cooler will also have an effect. I am soon to look at my piping setup and would appreciate knowledgeable comments also.

rich1216

Good thread. Interested also. Changes in pipe diameter through the system and into , out of the cooler will also have an effect. I am soon to look at my piping setup and would appreciate knowledgeable comments also.
I do no its always better to have a cooler that is not much thicker than your main pipe work as creates lag but i think its good to have a big surface area. Like you say pipe dimension is a good one as well, my new turbohas 2" out then my pipework is 2 1/2 then the cooler is 3 and back to 2 1/2 so there must be something can be improved there.

whytie

I know some people don't like the forge because of the twisty pipe run, I prefer it though as you don't need to hack the inner wings for the pipe run.

i think that a straight pipe run will be better but I think the benefit is so minimal you would hardly notice the difference, unless maybe running high power.

No matter what way you go about it don't cut holes everywhere.

red reading

This has been covered many times before, the pipe run length on the gtir makes no differance to lag the calculations were worked out by a flow dynamisist who worked for Holset, but tight bends will cause issues with flow ( much the same as the exhaust)

When you see that a standard turbo will max at about 35 lb's of air per minute, now see how big 35lb's of air is you will sort of understand that the pipe run under our bonnet will not be a worry!

Now if you are planning to run 500+ bhp your selection of turbo is what will net you less lag, along with fuel type,comp ratio,cam timing etc.

rich1216

This has been covered many times before, the pipe run length on the gtir makes no differance to lag the calculations were worked out by a flow dynamisist who worked for Holset, but tight bends will cause issues with flow ( much the same as the exhaust)

When you see that a standard turbo will max at about 35 lb's of air per minute, now see how big 35lb's of air is you will sort of understand that the pipe run under our bonnet will not be a worry!

Now if you are planning to run 500+ bhp your selection of turbo is what will net you less lag, along with fuel type,comp ratio,cam timing etc.
Thanks Dan, thats the power im going for and i just wanted to squezze the best out of everything and i think ive got everything worked out well enough, or i hope so :?ive already got my bits just building my motor up now

Mr B

A 90degree bend adds resistance equivalent to several meters of straight pipe so going a little longer to keep bends minimal or more gradual is the way to go, making the pipe runs stupidly long is pointless too as adds weight & larger amount of internal volume does take longer to pressurize but this is minimal concern in reality to the routing paths available in the gtir.
Thicker cores are ok when no space is available for larger surface area but as the cooling air passes through it is getting warmer so the efficiency of heat removal drops ... At end of day available space & personal preference on cutting bits of your car up tends to dictate size of intercooler & pipe run more than a calculator ...

Mr B

Sounds about right, hardly anyone here actually keeps one in one working piece for longer than the new V5 issue lol ... GTI-RBC !

Last edited:

rich1216

Just a road car , will do the odd track day and wouldnt mind doing the handling course at totb but mainly just another silly toy

red reading

Same as me really, I just wanted to build something that was as quick (or felt as) my bike, and now I have started building another.

rich1216

Thats exactly the same as me, 2011 i was running a turbo bandit 12 then sold it to do another R, it wont be as quick as the bandit but should be ok at least i hope so as 3 of my mates still run turbo gixxer 11s

red reading

Prefer sports bike myself, have had numerous but my favourite is the zx10r I still have c1h model with all the goodies....sensible compared to other stuff I had, like gsxr with gas,Dave jefferies TT rep R1( cost a fortune to build it) etc etc.

rich1216

I like alot of the sports bikes but could never have one, more of the sit up and beg /fighter/ supermoto style guy but each to there own. about 13 years ago used to work for hein gericke and the md had a harris built r1 when they first came out nothing power wise done apart from k&n dynojet but ohlins all round ap brakes full fibreglass setup etc etc weighed nothing compared to standard and looked awsome in kenny roberts senior paint job, id of had that but dont no who wouldnt 8)