Intercooler pipe temperature

projectgtir

Fitted a front mount the weekend ,after car was fully warmed up at idle i gave it a quick 5min blast round the block. Everything seemed ok .

When I got back to check things were ok under the bonnet ,i put my hand i my new shiny intercooler pipe and it was very very hot.
I would say it was about the same temp as my rad hose.

So my question is how hot should this be . Or should it even be hot ?

johnsy

one side will be hot the other cool, as long as it cool coming out of the intercooler

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Which pipe; out of the turbo into the intercooler? - Yes, that will get hot, especially if it's going over the exhaust manifold.
Out of the intercooler into your plenum? No, that shouldn't get hot. It might get warm, but if it's not noticeably cooler than the inlet side then the intercooler isn't cooling anything.

skiddusmarkus

I've done this:

Its got a layer of exhaust heatwrap round it then some alluminium foil blanket all held in place with cable ties.

projectgtir

Its the one that goes from turbo to intercooler. So its normal to be hot .
Does your wrap make a difference skiddmarkus as im wondering
what is the best way to get the temps down, as you want to avoid absorbing heat but also let out heat already in the pipe.

skiddusmarkus

I've not tested it yet.

Yes, you want heat to escape from this pipe but it will absorb more heat form the manifold, especially an unwrapped one than its ever going to radiate out.Anyway, you have the intercooler to drop the inlet temps.

I have the forge fmic and the pipe I wrapped used to get pretty hot but the one going into the inlet manifold was always cool.I've just done this as a precaution really as I am going to be running higher boost than I used to and want all the extra cooling I can get.

projectgtir

Ok so no need to worry really .
Actually thinking about it the standard top mount works well considering the heat it must absorb from the engine .