installing wide band sensor help please

gtirjoey

hello to everyone need some help i have recently picked up an apexi power fc and was advised to buy a wide band so i did.
i now have the five wire sensor and a gauge with three wires i have been told that you add this not replace the old sensor.
i reallyhave not a clue on the wiring i mean do you cut into original lambda sensor loom to power it up or wat. But as far as i gather this sensor is only there to run the gauge the wide band is not actually sending info. to ecu ( I might be wrong there ) Advise would be gratfully appreciated thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MINESGTIR

ill ask my mechanic how he wired mine. im running an Innovate LC-1 wideband gauge and lambda probe. its an awesome piece of kit.. all realtime ..etc...

Jonesy

You will need an extra bung in your down pipe for the wide band sensor.
I suspect 3 of the wires go to the gauge and the other two are a live and earth, isnt there any wiring instructions with it.

Braveheart

Jonesy said:
You will need an extra bung in your down pipe for the wide band sensor.
I suspect 3 of the wires go to the gauge and the other two are a live and earth, isnt there any wiring instructions with it.
As above, also, you may also find that the gauge has an output that can be used to supply data to the Power FC. My AEM gauge does.

Jonesy, how far down the downpipe did you fit your sensor. The installation instruction that I have with the AEM recommends 36" away from exh manifold for a turbo charged car running highter RPM to prevent damage to sensor.

Mr GTiR

Braveheart said:
you may also find that the gauge has an output that can be used to supply data to the Power FC. My AEM gauge does.
Can you let me know how you did this as I have the AEM and would like that hooked to my PFC.

Also, when Ian Birch (Dubsport) fitted my wideband it's about 12" away from the turbo. He sait it was a load of old b0ll0cks about them having to be 36" away from the tubby. Jim Campbelluj, stumo and mine are all fitted in the same position and ours are working fine.

gtirjoey

no instructions as i bought sensor and gauge as separate units the instutions in box of gauge explain how to wire the gauge to a standard management system and only three/four wire sensors

Braveheart

Mr GTiR said:
Can you let me know how you did this as I have the AEM and would like that hooked to my PFC.

Also, when Ian Birch (Dubsport) fitted my wideband it's about 12" away from the turbo. He sait it was a load of old b0ll0cks about them having to be 36" away from the tubby. Jim Campbelluj, stumo and mine are all fitted in the same position and ours are working fine.
Andy... thanks for that information with regards to sighting the sensor. I will take it away from the manifold but it may not be by 3 foot... ;-)
I do not have the gauge documentation at hand but the AEM guage has a provision (output connector) for sending secondary information out. Think the prefered method is an RS232 port (connector) to a laptop but I'm sure you can take it to the ECU. I'm using E-Manage Ultimate which has a couple of ports that will except that form of data. I will use one of these port for pressure (boost) sensor and the other for A/F.
I have never seen a PFC ECU but I'm pretty sure they will include this feature.
Hope this helps!

Jonesy

Braveheart said:
As above, also, you may also find that the gauge has an output that can be used to supply data to the Power FC. My AEM gauge does.

Jonesy, how far down the downpipe did you fit your sensor. The installation instruction that I have with the AEM recommends 36" away from exh manifold for a turbo charged car running highter RPM to prevent damage to sensor.
I dont actually have a wide band fitted yet, but the bung is there ready blocked off at the moment. Not sure how far away from the exhaust manifold it is, certainly closer to 12" than 36". Could measure if you want.
Cheers
Ian

gtirjoey

no mate not a total idiot its a wide band i no wat i bought gauge i think is called auto gauge same make as my boost gauge

MarkTurbo

Well unless you tell us what it is how do expect any help :doh:

A wideband lambda sensor has 5 wires so from what you've already said it sounds like a narrowband gauge ;-)

gtirjoey said:
the instutions in box of gauge explain how to wire the gauge to a standard management system and only three/four wire sensors

Braveheart

Jonesy said:
I dont actually have a wide band fitted yet, but the bung is there ready blocked off at the moment. Not sure how far away from the exhaust manifold it is, certainly closer to 12" than 36". Could measure if you want.
Cheers
Ian
I do not need exact measurments Ian... but thanks!
I will sight mine a good bit away from the outlet but not as far back as the decat area.
Think the EGT sensor can withstand a bit more heat and has to be located pretty close to the outlet

youngsyp

Mr GTiR said:
Also, when Ian Birch (Dubsport) fitted my wideband it's about 12" away from the turbo. He sait it was a load of old b0ll0cks about them having to be 36" away from the tubby.
Totally agree with that.

If you look at the scenario, the A/F mixture isn't going to change as it exits the engine, and goes out the tail pipe. AS a result, you can stick the wideband sensor anywhere in the exhaust run, theoretically. Remember where the gas probe goes at MOT time. ;-)
I think these people get confused with an EGT sensor. Obviously, that has to be as close to the exhaust ports as possible !

Paul