inner track rods

How can you judge if these need replacing? I have undone the track rod ends and lifted the track rod up and it drops straight down, I had read that it should be able to support it's own weight, although there is no noticeable play on either side.
How do you go about replacing them? Can they easily be removed from the steering rack?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
to check play in the joints, jack up the front of the car till the tyres are off the ground, grab the suspect wheel at 3 o'clock & 9 o'clock and attempt to push with the right hand and pull with the left then alternate, if there is any play in the joints you will feel a slight knocking as you do this. You can also check for lower ball joint play at the same time by moving your grip on the tire to 6 & 12 o'clock and attempting the same movement.

I have replaced both ball joints and track rod ends so i'm thinking my problem lies with the steering rack or track rods. I can't feel any play anywhere and 2 garages have checked for play in all the bushes and couldn't find anything. I'm trying to identify the reason for my vague steering feel and general lack of sharpness.