Inlet heat spacer

Sunny-D

Hi, theres a guy on ebay selling these for a 200sx. Does anyone know if they fit a gtir, or even if they are any good?

youngsyp

Sunny-D said:
Thanks, is it worth buying one?
The SR20 and Honda guys rave about them but, I've not head that much about them on SR20DET engines.

The principle is the same no matter what engine you put them on so, I'd have to say yes, they are worth it. Although, you'd probably be better off lagging the exhaust manifold, elbow and downpipe first.
To be honest, it's a mod that's been on my 'to do' list for a few years now. Other things keep popping up though !

This is the shape of the one you need: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P2R-...005QQitemZ150155268813QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Last edited:

Sunny-D

Nice one mate, if the plenum is insulated from the head, would it be worth lagging or coating it? or is that overkill?

youngsyp

Sunny-D said:
Nice one mate, if the plenum is insulated from the head, would it be worth lagging or coating it? or is that overkill?
I guess it could be beneficial. Whether it's worth it, depends on the rest of the intake system and, what it'll cost to coat it.
You could always polish it up. That should help reflect some heat !

Sunny-D

Im gonna buy some silicone coating spray from exhaustwrapshop.com, hopefully this along with the other lagging will drop the intake temp.

P

Pascal

I doubt there will be much benefit from this on a turbo engine... The intake plenum temperature is governed by the gobs of boosted air being rushed through it, doesn't matter if it's in contact with the head or not.

In a natural aspirated application it's great though, since you can make the intake charge 100% cool fresh air, you don't want that passing through a hot intake plenum.

There are a lot more thermodynamic gains to have in making sure the turbo's hot side is well insulated (blankets, etc) and the intercooler system is efficient.

youngsyp

Pascal said:
I doubt there will be much benefit from this on a turbo engine... The intake plenum temperature is governed by the gobs of boosted air being rushed through it, doesn't matter if it's in contact with the head or not.

In a natural aspirated application it's great though, since you can make the intake charge 100% cool fresh air, you don't want that passing through a hot intake plenum.

There are a lot more thermodynamic gains to have in making sure the turbo's hot side is well insulated (blankets, etc) and the intercooler system is efficient.
And what are the differences between the combustion process of the F/I engine, when compared to the N/A engine ?

Whether the engine is turboed or not, cool intake air will make it perform better and the intercooler of a turboed car, is there to cool the intake charge for when it enters the plenum.

Therefore, having a cool plenum for the cooled intake air to go through, will certainly help performance.

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether the engine is turboed or not, a cooler plenum will benefit it !

P

Pascal

youngsyp said:
Bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether the engine is turboed or not, a cooler plenum will benefit it !
I agree. But I'm telling you on a turbo engine the plenum is being warmed/cooled by the compressed air going through it, not so much by the contact area with the cylinder head. The plenum's temperature will roughly match that of the air going through it, negating most benefits fron the spacer.

I'm saying on the turbo motor there's more benefit to have if money is spent in other areas. Of course if you're done sorting absolutely everything else out, or if you REALLY want a plenum spacer, it's still not going to hurt! :thumbsup: